1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this really suck as bad as I think it does?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheMightyWoot1, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hey everybody, just wanted to share this video, which was uploaded to youtube more than a year ago by somebody that was recording the open mic I was at. When I see this video, I cringe at my mistakes, and I have also changed the arrangement of this piece since that time.

I would like to know your opinions, as I am always my own worst critic.

Thanks for looking. :)

2. "Suck" is not a word I would use to describe that piece or performance. So you hit a couple of clams, it hardly tarnished the performance.

Well done.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    no it does not suck ...

but rather I would say good job dude!

4. :) thanks guys. My wife is always asking me to do these open mics, and on this night I obliged her. I had not practiced this piece in a few weeks, and just flew by the seat of my pants. I did not know it was being videotaped until after I played, when the guy came up to me to ask if he could post it online. So now more than a year later, I just want to smack myself for letting him post this on youtube. But if its ok enough, I'll just move on with life and keep practicing, and eventually post a better version of the tune. BTW, the piece is called "A Flower for Madeline"

I appreciate the kind words, thanks again :)

5. certainly does not suck.

6. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    More interesting than my
    mud bucking. Nicely done.

Tabdog

7. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Didn't suck. Don't be so hard on yourself. It was quite good, and musical.

8. Thanks everybody.

I guess I am just to hard on myself. I get told this often by myfriends and family, especially my wife. She thinks that I should go on one of those shows like "America's Got Talent", since she loves that show, but honestly I don't think I would make that much of an impession. I mean, I like what I play, but its not really all that amazing, IMO. I am quite happy to play in bands and not do solo stuff as a regular gig.

Anyway, thanks again guys! You have made me feel better. :)

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It's a heck of a lot better than that Billy Sheehan solo in the 'suggestions' area....

We're the only ones who noticed that bumm note...

You may owe Stu Hamm some money though.... :bag:

10. I'm not into tapping, but I found this very amusing and musical! Very well done!

11. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    If that sucks I quit!

12. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Nice!

13. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    come on man, you're like those attention wh*re teenage girls that post hot pictures of them on facebook with the comment "ew I'm so ugly", hoping people will write how beautiful they look!
    your video is fine, the few little mistakes are not noticeable for a bar crowd, believe me.

14. LOL!
    Not really though. I honestly felt embarassed when I saw this, mostly due to the mistakes that are so glaringly obvious to me. All I was hoping for was some honest feedback from folks that don't have to say nice things if they don't want to. :)

15. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Sounded fine to me.