1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this resolve Drop D tuning?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Welshninja851, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Welshninja851

Welshninja851

Oct 27, 2018
    Hi all,

Been taught the traditional way of major and Minor shapes and arpeggios . I have joined a band that has their songs written in drop D tuning, and I’m struggling with it. I have seen the below pedal that claims to give BEAD tuning with the flick of a switch. Plenty of positive reviews on guitar, but none on Bass. Has anyone used, or reviewed one? Or is there a better product out there that gives me the BEAD tuning without sound or delay compramise. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. D2780957-09AC-48B7-A6AC-4FDBED50BAED.jpeg

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    IMHO you're overthinking this. Why not just play in drop D tuning? Or get a 5 string? Or string a 4 up BEAD?

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Tune DGCF
    (One step lower than E standard.)

I hated the drop pedal. Not bad on guitar.....but horrible on bass.

Imo....ime....my 2 cents....etc...

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Whenever this comes up, I post something I did a few years ago:
    Pitchshifting---a blind shootout for your perusal

I agree with the sentiment that the Drop is really good for guitar but YMMV for bass. However, it's the best solution out there IMO, so if it doesn't work for you then you should probably just look at tuning your bass differently.

5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Every pitch changing device I have ever tried sounds like a synthesizer to me.

6. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    It won’t sound natural. Some players need more than one bass to accommodate different tunings, so look into a second bass if you don’t want to retune.

7. Back in the 90’s I tuned to DGCF for the same reason in that my singer wrote everything in Drop D. Used GHS 55 to 115 gauge. Felt good and sounded better than any five string at the time.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I use this pedal as my band drops1/2 step and another drops1full step and another plays in 440
    I have it first in line as you must drop the pitch before adding any effects
    I have never had an issue with it it works flawlessly
    Several musician friends after hearing me use it have added it to their boards
    Duke

Huw Phillips and Ultradust like this.
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use a D tuner...works great, does the job.

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    You said "Drop D". That typically means DADG. All you have to do is tune the 4th string lower. If the string gets too floppy, consider a thicker string like .110 for your 4th string.

If it's D standard (DGCF), thicker strings are likely needed. I recommend these gauges:

The Digitech Drop pedal will lower the pitch by half step increments. So getting to BEAD on a 4 string can happen, but it will sound super low! I don't recommend that pedal for anything more than 1/2 step down tuning on the fly. I used the Drop once and brought my entire bass down 1.5 steps: I heard a delay between hitting the string and how fast the unit was responding to my notes. Maybe is was my Active Spector 5 string not playing nice with it, but I will never use it again. It works just fine on guitar though.

monsterthompson, RyanOh, cuth and 2 others like this.
  11. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    The drop pedal is a one or two song solution. I think the setup and string gauge option is the best. Or a hipshot drop tuner.

eddybuzzard likes this.
  12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I’ve tried it, but couldn’t coax a convincing tone out of it, the tone seemed to get a warbling quality that made it unusable for my purposes. Sold it after a few weeks and went back to using a Hipshot detuner.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Gearhead17 likes this.
  13. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I started using Hipshot D-tuners decades ago, and IMHO is the best solution for Drop-D tuning (E string) from standard tuning. With a little practice on your left hand, you can become proficient enough to go in and out of Drop D during songs and within phrases if needed.

I will say that I haven't auditioned the latest and greatest from Fractal Audio or Kemper, but that's an expensive way to go even if it does a great job at drop tuning for bass.

14. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Get a Hipshot Detuner and learn the songs in drop D.
    This will yield the best results, IMHO.
    Many tunes were written to be played tuned that way and will prove even more difficult to play, say, tuned BEAD.
    Pedaling open D on a 5 string is not possible, for example...
    I have Detuners on all my 4's, super simple and easy once you get past the very short learning curve...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    djaxup, Runnerman, 2playbass and 5 others like this.
  15. TideSwing

TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    What happens when a cable goes bad or your singer trips over your board, messes it up and and you have to go without pedals?

I played with someone who used a whammy on guitar for this purpose and on one gig, he forgot to press the pedal to “tune down”. I ended up having to play to him and more unfortunately our poor singer. Lol. The song was intentionally dropped to accommodate the singer’s range.

lfmn16 likes this.
  16. Gabe Langfur

Gabe Langfur

Sep 22, 2019
    Boston
    DGCF works great and sounds awesome for Pino!

Thegrandwazoo and FRoss6788 like this.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Exactly my feelings. Just retune, it's not a big deal, really. If they are tuned down to D, you don't need BEAD anyway.

Seashore, FRoss6788 and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. Think of it as a learning experience. Getting around in a drop tuning is probably going to be easier than you think, and switching between drop and standard ought to make you understand the fretboard more fluently.

19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Drop D is the easiest way to play Drop D songs. Period. I play them all on a 5 string tuned BEADG but I know it's more difficult. I am a better bass player due to becoming proficient on a 5'r. JM2C

20. The Whammy DT, same detune feature, does have a bit of delay and synth quality to it with bass, increasingly so as you add more half-steps of pitch shift. I think it’s a helpful quick fix, 1-2 song, sort of solution in terms of satisfaction while playing the bass, but you can get things done with it. It’s pretty good on guitar. I wouldn’t specifically buy a Drop to do different bass tuning.

All that said, I have separate instruments for different tunings. Like some folks above, I recommend getting string gauges and an instrument setup that match what you are doing—EADG with Hipshot Xtender for Drop D DADG, and D Standard DGCF are favorites of mine.

FRoss6788 likes this.