Does this Rob Allen look like ash or mahogany?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gkintn, Mar 11, 2005.

1. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I just ordered this MB-2 and UPS will have it here on monday. :hyper: :bassist:

What body wood does this look like to you all?

At first from the pics I thought it looked like a maple top (obviously) over mahogany, and I think the dealer even said so. Then I just noticed the listing says "Ash" body. There are a couple more pics of this actual bass on Rob Allen's site.

I'm sure I'll love it either way (my only other bass is a mexican P-bass!), but just wondering what you all thought?
  2. Well, that's definitely not ash. That's for sure.

Either Alder or Mahogany.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like mahogany to me too.
  4. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    Maple/mahogany sure works on Les Pauls. I hope it works on these too. Do you think so?
  5. Im gonna have to agree with embellisher...that looks like mahogany
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, I'd say that's mahogany. Can't tell if it's Honduran or African, though.
  7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    definitely not ash. Mahagony or Koa, although I believe it's a bit too reddish for Koa.

8. I'd be willing to bet that the pictured back is mahogany. Is there a problem? I bought a bass from Gguitars- not a hitch.
  9. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    No problem at all, G Guitars seems very professional. I bought it thinking it was mahogany anyway, and I hadn't even noticed the listing said "Ash" until just now. I bet it's a missprint.

My gut feeling is this will be a good combo of woods for a 4 string MB-2, though not as common as the ash or alder body ones. I hope it's not too mellow though.

I love the look of mahogany, and the maple top on this one is killer! Pretty amazing for a standard issue model.
  10. - it's beautiful, & should sound awesome. Do a review!
  11. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    UPS says it's already in my home town. Probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The trucks don't run until monday.
  12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

Definitely Mahogany. The grain texture and color are totally Mahogany. Yeah I know it could be stained, but even Alder stained that color wouldn't look like that, and it looks like the theme of the bass is "au naturale" (little/no stain) anyway.
  13. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mahogany. There is no way it's Ash but I can understand thinking it's alder. Ash has a really open grain. Alder and Mahogany have a much tighter grain.
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
  15. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    It looks very much like mahogany to me. UPS delivers it tomorrow so I guess I'll find out for sure VERY soon.

I'll report back folks with a review.
  16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO I'd prefer Mahogany over Alder on that bass anyway. Looks killer.
  17. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I'll admit I'm a sucker for the mahogany/maple combo on Gibson Les Pauls, so I had to take a chance on this bass though I've never even played one before.

I've did play a fretless Godin A4 when I started shopping for a fretless. It played awesome and sounded great, but was a little heavy and oddly balanced. Also the slider control pots were already scratchy and it was a new bass. It also had a slight top crack caused by some rough handling on the showroom floor. So...

I ended up passing on it and getting on the web where I discovered the Rob Allens.

Finding two of these basses instock at G Guitars was also very inviting, as opposed to ordering and waiting for one.
  18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    NOT ash, for sure.
    Looks great, enjoy.
  19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll join the crowd. I'm 90% certain it is mahogany.
  20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I know that Rob has done some custom work as far as woods. My MB-5 has a burl redwood top which is not listed as an option. But in checking the site, the only listing for body wood is alder and ash. But it sure looks like mahogany to me.

I just love my MB-2. it is such a fun bass to play and it sounds incredible. Plus the fact that it is so light in weight but yet feels so solid. ;)