Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does this seem like a fair deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 26, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
  2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    put some pictures up. Or sell it through Brain at thelowend.net He sells on consignment.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    you didn't read this description, i can't have pics until Sunday becasue I have use a friends digital camera.

~Patrick

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well putting up pictues on the last day of the auction isn't the best idea. But if that's all you can do... If it doesn't sell you will have the pictures for a relist.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Crap, why didn't I think of that! The LowEnd.Net is actually based in Memphis, where I live. Its got to be eBay for now. I can't do squat for the pictures. I have to sell it ASAP.

~Patrick

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i dont believe that squier was made in korea till much later(late 80'2 early 90's),this first squiers were called bullet basses and were made in japan,they lasted from 79-82(give or take 6 months).then in 83 they became squiers,lasted about 6 or 7 years in japan and went to korea.so if your bass is a squier two,then its a much later date bass.though they are better than the latter china made squiers,they not as valuable as the japanese made ones. i am 99.99% sure of these years,i got the info from the history of fender bass book.without pics i cannot tell you if the bass is worth 250.00$,but assuming my info is true, its not worth quit that much resale,but a fender collector mite find it attractive(i'd sell it for 175.00-200.00$)thats just me:bassist: . and i'd be positive it would'nt last with that price,and probably go without a picture.:bassist: GOOD LUCK.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, I was told that it was made i 1979 by two completely different dealers, one being a Fender dealer, so thats why I put that I was told and not that it is. And of course it says, made in Korea on the headstock. I figure with all the modifications, the gig bag, 18' cable, straplocks, it does help the value. If I could get just $200 I'd be satisfied, but I've poured my heart into this bass. Over $500 worth of work. Whoever has played has all said the same thing, its got a great hot tone. Pics are on the way. I just have to wait until my friend takes them and sends them too me.

~Patrick

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    one of the two are wrong.either the year,or the korea issue.but if it says korea then its in no way a 79.i am positive.i checked in the book 10 mins ago."IN 1979 FENDER CAME OUT WITH THE BULLET BASS,IN 1982(the latter part of the year)THEY MOVED TO JAPAN AND CHANGED THE BULLET INTO THE SQUIER" straight from the fender book.so something or someone is wrong.and when you alter a "vintage bass"(i would'nt consider a korean fender vintage,the japanese ones are starting to go up in value,but only fetch about 200.00$)WILL decrease in value when modified,adding pick-ups,bridges and ETC will decrease the value because its no longer "original".i have a 87 japanese jazz special in which i did all this modification to,it sounds and looks and plays awesome,but one that is "un-touched" and "original" will be worth twice the amount of my bass.these are facts and not my opinion,i am not trying to take away anything from the value of the bass,i hope you get as much as possible for it,i am a collector of fenders and anything related to them.:D

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If the bass was left as is, it would't be playable. I bought it with the electronics shorted, bridge ready to snap, missing some saddles, and some rust on the tuners. My friend set the action and got rid of some of the rust. I wasn't really caring how old it was when I first bought it. I consider true vintage to be before the 1980s. I'd love to own a 1976 Precision Bass in natural w/ rosewood board, then add a black pearl pickguard, add some Duncans and a BA bridge and an active preamp.

I just need some friggin money. I would be willing to go down to $175 as a last resort.

I figure its a great playing/sounding bass and took into consideration the work I put into it, and thats how I come up with my value. I'm honestly not concerned with what the books said. I've seen this same bass, all stock, go for $230 in pawn shops.

~Patrick
    ~Patrick

~Patrick

10. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    no need to get huffy,if the bass was selling at a pawnshop for 230.00$ how much do you think they paid for it ? 130.00$ the most.my brother owns a pawnshop is how i calculated the number.i'm sure the bass is worth much more than 230.00$ to you,i am just telling you what i know,you asked us for an opinion and you shot down everything i've said to you,so lets see what your bass sells for on E-BAY,and we will see whos correct.you ask for our help but dont like what you heard,so i'll try this=YOUR BASS IS WORTH ALOT OF MONEY,YOU WILL GET ANYPRICE YOU ASK FOR,ITS THE BEST BASS OUT THERE. better ? look,i'm not trying to get you down,you posted on a site that has people who know about basses on it,then split hairs with the one person who gave you exact numbers and facts,what you do with the info is on you.take what you need and leave the rest.i know what my basses are worth,i dont need to ask a forum of strangers what i should sell my bass for,i know what they're worth,HOW you ask ? i buy and sell on e-bay everyday,i know what sells for what and for how much. sorry i did'nt tell you what you wanted to hear.i'll check your auction and see how you really did.:D

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm not getting huffy. I'm actually encouraged by what you had to say and in good spirits. I was just offering the typical rejoinder. I actually don't want to sell this bass, as it was my first and plays wonderfully, but I'm in a tight spot money wise. If it sells, great, if not, then sucks to your asthmar. j/k. I'm not really new to eBay, but this is my first time auctioning an instrument.

~Patrick

12. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i know you dont want to sell your bass,who would ? when you invest money into something and kinda becomes a 'custom bass",and you cant put a price on sentimental value,if that was the case there probably would'nt be a person who could afford the thing.is it possible it has a different neck or a replacement ? because the Squier name did'nt get out into the public untill 83,and before that they were american made Bullet basses.so something is off i would say.but it in no way detracts from the monetary value you have towards it. peace:)

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The neck and body are original. It must have been made after 1983. I just hope some pics will help me get it sold. IMHO, I think its a good deal for this bass, considering all the upgrades made, throw in the gigbag, cable, and straplocks, it'd make a nice beginner bass for someone who wouldn't a bass to keep for ahwile. Thats the way I thought it'd be for me.

Apparently I must be doing something wrong in selling it because some idiot with the screenname, Jacofan1221, sent me a sarcastic e-mail saying something about there being no bids.

~Patrick

14. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    it was me,you must have known that.(i'll give you that much credit)i have a slight problem,its called 'JACKASSITYISM".round my parts i'm well known for it:rolleyes: .BUT i come in peace,i mean you no harm..;) GOOD LUCK with the auction,it will sell eventually(a pic mite help)

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I actually had no clue! Oh well. You did come off as a jerk, but I opted to call you a dick. I just need the money. I am negative $85 in the bank, going on vacation next week in $90 in my pocket, and I need some put some money down on my 2001RB, and it doesnt help that my job is giving me less than 10 hours a week. :(. So if I get this bass sold, I'm pretty much ahead. See my predicament?

~Patrick:ninja:

16. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    Last summer i got a new job,i was in my second year of recovery(term used for sobriety or "clean time)and i got a job as a "warehouse manager".it was with a new company and they were growing by "leaps and bounds".they were going to get a delivery truck and start making the deliveries to local customers themselves insted of sending them by truck.After about 4 months the owners brother needed a job,so he moved back to CT.and came to work for us as the G.M. so basically i trained him and showed him how to run a warehouse(he was the manager of a few very famous bars in Florida,but had'nt a clue about w/house work)after i trained him we started bumping heads because now he knew it all,and he felt like he could "re-invent the wheel" so to say.and re-do my warehose how He wanted it.long story short my hours started getting cut,the money i was supposed to be making was'nt happening,and i was training him to do my job.I wanted to leave and got some job offers,but they needed me to be a "team player" and i was very "important" to them.so after turning down new job offers and getting cut back to 20 hours a week, i got "LAID OFF".so i got off my ass and went job hunting,and had they not "laid me off"i would still be with them making 200.00$ a week trying to support myself and save for my marrige.it was the best thing that ever happened to me(getting fired),it pushed me towards being self motivated.now i have a job making the same money in a day at my new job,than i was making in a week at my old job.pain is a great motivator,and had they kept me there i would still be broke and barely getting by.sorry for the long winded story,i wanted to show you an example of good,coming from a bad situation.GOOD LUCK and go get a better job,you deserve it,you are worth it,and if you dont reach out and take it ,somebody else will.:D

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, xcental34x, man if your posting anything that you want people to buy, use punctuation/not ALL CAPS. its hard to take you seriously when its all caps, and no punctuation.

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    just wait for the new 1001RB. it's cheaper and has tons of power. Don't go all out like that. I doubt you are touring or anything like that. So don't get yourself in over your head. And get a new job.

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alright pics are up! Yeah. Sorry for the lack of professionalism, but my friend didn't have the time or light to do better. I might just lower the price of my bass again if it doesn't go soon. Gimme some feedback as too what else I could do to sell it.

Romeo, I do all caps just because its easy and thoughtless. I'm too lazy too think of when to put exclamations marks and such when I never use them. So I just hit the caps lock and type away.

I'm dead set on the 2001RB. Bass Central is willing to give me a killer deal on it. I'd be an idiot not too take it.

~Patrick

20. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well, man you'll need to spend some time on some things if you want people to purchase something that you're offering. i'm sorry if i sound rude or anything.

Peace,
    Scott