Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this seem like a fair price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Yesterday i was in a local music shop looking at some of the basses they had in stock when i came across a used Carvin LB70. I picked it up and played it for a while since i have never played a carvin before. Needless to say i fell i love with it. The neck feels perfect for my hands and the tones i got from the active circuit and the stock j99 pickups was awesome. It has a one piece maple neck with a alder body and is finished in greenburst on the body, back of neck, and the headstock. it looks like it's in decent condition and the pickups look like they have no wear and the frets look nice and clean. The body has a couple of minor scratches and the one thing i noticed about the bass is on the headstock, there is a hole about 1/4" in diameter drilled clear through the headstock past the g string tuner by about 3/4". I asked the sales guy about the hole and he said he didn't know about it, he got that bass in on trade from someone last week.

The place is asking for $350, does this sound reasonable? i don't really know the market value on used carvins so any help would be appreciated.

2. I've never played a Carvin myself, but it sounds as though you like this bass. They go for $749 new, I'd say $350 is a good price for it. As always, try to get them a little lower, or at least drop the tax or include a cord or set of strings.
    Carvin's page with the LB-70 http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?P1=BGTR

Good luck.

Mike

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'd push 'em lower. Carvins don't seem* to hold their value very well.

*I'm speaking only from my own experience.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    $350 is probably fair, nothing to get excited about. I'd work the hole in the headstock angle to get it down to at least $300. Heck, offer $250, the worst that can happen is they say no. Okay, they could get pissed and take a swing at you but IME that rarely happens:D

Or you can use my professional negotiating strategy:

Ask them what they'll take for it.