Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this seem like a lot for repairs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 21, 2006.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I took my bass (Spector Euro 5) in for some repairs the other day. Here's what I had done -

Replaced brass nut - it had to be grinded
    Adjusted saddles
    Adjusted Intonation
    Lowered Action
    Re-strung (I supplies the strings)
    Cleaning

Total - $103 after taxes (Canadian)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everything except cleaning and the nut replacement is a regular setup, which goes for about $50 give or take. Replacing a brass nut which has to be slotted is not a trivial task. I wouldn't complain if that were the bill on my bass. But I would have replaced the brass nut with a bone one, personally. :)

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the feedback. What would the difference in sound be if I got a bone nut? I have considered it but all the Spector Euro models come with brass nuts.

The brass nut was slotted, but the slots needed to be grinded down a bit..I can imagine that it was not an easy task..I guess I was caught off guard a bit with the price but I am over it :D

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not cheap, but it doesn't seem too expensive, either. If they guy does good work then you should have nothing to complain about.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea that's not a bad price at all. As long as he did good work. If the work was sketchy, then I'd be going nuts.

6. Does the nut even have effect (affect??? I can never remember...Affect, right???) on tone on non-open strings? Only the area between your finger and the brindge is vibrating...hmmm I've never thought of changing my nut, but maybe I should - if it would change my tone to something better. I just have graphite right now, I think.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The difference between bone and brass will only be noticeable on open strings, as you stated. I prefer graphite nuts on my basses. Seems to make them a bit easier to tune precisely.

I think that was a fair price if the work was good.

8. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    thanks guys, and by the way the guy who did the work did a great job.

I had to replace the nut because it was very worn out. I purchased the bass used - it's about 15-20 years old- and whoever had it before me filed the slots down a lot..probably to use very very thick strings. When I put a new set of strings in they would vibrate. For the longest time I had to put a small piece of paper in the slots so it would raise the strings..It was time for a new nut.

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Sounds right.

10. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    How much does a garage charge to do repair on your car?
    Is it $70.00 or $80.00 an hour?
    Tell me why a luthier or guitar repair man should work for $5.00 an hour
    May be that's why he charged you $103.00 to do all that work because he doesn't work for $5.00 an hour even if it is to work on a guitar or bass.

11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Whoa, dude settle down. He was just inquiring about the price of the work done on his bass, no need to defend luthiers or their wages. Lighten up man!
    -Alex

12. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    I defend luthier or their wages because I am a luthier and we don't work for $5.00 an hour or for free like many people think we do

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    That's fine...you have a right to be upset, I was just pointing out that your post seemed grumpy and demeaning. Sorry, man.
    Also, I don't think anyone thinks you luthiers work for $5 an hour. Whenever I get my bass set up professionally, I usually pay about $50, and I have no problem doing it, because I know it's worth it in the end for my bass. I also know that most luthiers don't spend a whole hour setting up my instrument, unless I want them to do other things, in which case I'll pay more. Fifty dollars for a simple, routine setup that may or may not take an hour to do seems pretty reasonable to me. At least it should be, because that's about the price that I'm usually quoted for setup work at any shop.
    Keep in mind I'm speaking for the mature part of the bass community, not the young little blink-loving-bass-wanking teens who walk into shops expecting someone to fix ther bass that they threw at their innocent mother for free.
    -Alex

14. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    If the work is "first rate" it looks like a very fair price to me.
    (Nut work is usually $10.00 <U.S.Funds> per slot so a 5 string nut would be $50.00.)