Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does This Seem Right For A Chris Squire Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jan 24, 2004.

1. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    no way. what a tool.

2. It also has 5 bids...which confuses me. Maybe people are desperate for this limited run of RIC's?

3. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    That guy is high. They go for about $2500, $2800 tops.

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Mysterious... very mysterious indeed...

5. Thats what i thought as well...Just 4 years ago their list price was under 2000$(1899$ to be exact)

So i guess people just really want this bass.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Regardless of who's willing to pay whatever for that bass, that guy is a complete jackass. I've never in my life seen or heard someone trying to sell something who was so condescending and such a prick. I hope someone steals the thing from him while he's away on vacation just so he can't rake someone over the coals and take advantage of someone who would appreciate that bass enough to use it. Screw him.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Riiiight... So he'll probably expect $7,000 for it next year? :rolleyes:

"Value" means absolutely jack if no one is willing to buy it from him for what he wants.

You'd think that sooner or later this guy would realize that no one is going to pay that much for his bass. Maybe next year he will? :)

8. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Bass Central has two of 'em, to my recollection.

9. They arent for sale, just display. If i remember correctly. :)

10. I stand corrected...i just checked again and they have 1 for sale. Basscentral are selling it for 2500$

11. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Two things spring to mind:

Why have a reserve if you are going to tell everyone what it is? Why not just set the starting bid at $5,000? Then, when no one bids on it, he can can lower the price to within at least three light years of what it is actually worth.

Is there like actual evidence of this or is it the usual bloviations from ratchet jaws who think they know something? And further, let's stipulate that the quality did indeed suffer in later production. Is it really a $2500 difference?

I owned two Ricks and enjoyed them very much, but c'mon. I can buy a Fodera for that. (Well a cheap one anyway. :))

Scott

12. I never noticed the 'quality production decrease' line before you pointed it out.(Obviously i wasnt paying attention that well i suppose :p)
    So to stick up for Ric, It is my understanding that their quality control is actually really good. From all the Ric owners i talked to or heard from there is hardly any problems with quality control.
    Now stuff does happen from time to time through shipping or whatever...But for the most part they are consistant.
    In fact the only complaints i ever here about Rickenbacker is its poor customer service.

So i think that 'decrease in quality' is BS because i never read anything or heard anything like that before.

13. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I agree! There is (or was) one for sale at one of my local GCs for less than 3k, I forget exactly how much they wanted. They usually price used stuff like that on the high end too, and seem to ignore the instrument's actual condition.

I think that guy will be hanging on to that for a while. Buy It Now for $10,000? Ridiculous. :spit:

14. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I wouldn't buy a bass from this tool if it were priced under 2K. And I've seen a handful in the 1800-2000 range in the past 18 months.

And what he says about QC problems on later ones is nothing but a damned lie.

In any case, market value is what buyer and seller agree on. Period.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Smarmy and condescending sellers with a big ego always have an easy time moving their stuff...:rolleyes:

16. Wow, its up to 12 bids now...makes me think i should buy the one at Bass Central for 2500$ and then sell it on Ebay for triple the price. Then i could buy a Cheyenne2 and/or a Ric 4080. :D

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I don't think anyone is going to spend $5000.00 on that bass. The guy is dreaming. BIN price double the reserve is unusual.

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sounds like the guy might be victim of an account hack to me..

There was, I think, a run of the mill Spector that had an outrageously high asking price as well. Unless of course the guy is just really stupid.