Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this sound fair?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jbasso, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I recently asked an employee at my local 'Music Connection' how much they charge for a complete setup (including installation of strings). He goes to the same school as I, and kind of knows me, so he was honest and told me they charge too much, and the turn around time is pretty long. BUT, he offered to do it himself. Knowing he will do a great job, and get it playing amazing, I asked how much he would charge. He said 20 dollars for EVERYTHING being set up. Sound fair?

Yes, I know I can do it myself, but right now I just want a good setup, and I dont want to mess anything up:smug:

2. 20 bucks with strings included? If he knows what he's doing, it is very fair.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If he knows what he is doing it is a great deal.

4. Diddlysquat

Diddlysquat Guest

Feb 8, 2006
    I would tell him I'll give him $30 as long as I could watch - you know, learn, make sure he's not abusing your instrument, etc.

5. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    This is NOT including the strings, just the set-up aspect. I have a set of chrome XL's waiting to be installed, but the bass needs a good set-up.

And yes, I can trust he knows what he is doing, so Im fine with that.

Thanks guys, how much, for you that have someone else do it, do you pay for a set up of your bass?

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    $20 is quite fair ... if you were in a large metro area, I'd even go so far as to call it a steal

I used to pay - then I learned how to do it myself. once you learn how to do it correctly you'll never settle for your bass being even a little out of peak performance

all the best,

R

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    At the school music store where im at, they only charge $20 for every guitar, no matter what. (strings are not included though)

8. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    "brooke mays" here in dallas, it costs 40.

I let one of the smaller shops do it when I first moved out here. Never Again. I do it myself and pay 40 once a year.

9. You will not likely find anyone anywhere who knows what they are doing who will charge less than $20. Most will charge twice that.

10. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender

I'd give em' $75...and video tape it..Burn it to a DVD and set up shop on Ebay and forums..and sell it.Then you can stop selling oranges..or maybe thats me along the road and off-ramps to the 405 freeway....

11. I paid someone $30.00 so $20.00 is a steal.