1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this sound legit?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B4zz3R, Mar 14, 2019.

1. B4zz3R

B4zz3R

Mar 14, 2019
    Hi. I haven't been playing electric guitar or electric bass for too long, and I've been jamming with others in public on a consistent basis for a while now. No rehearsed material, all improv, but it still sounds good cause I read up on theory.
    Now it looks like I've found myself in an audition spot for an underground pop-like metal band (think Evanescence like). It's mainly root notes they say, no fancy stuff, and that image seems to be more important. I put on a show for the crowd. The last guy could only play one note they say, and they need to fill the spot immediately. I'm also much younger than all of them, they've been playing longer than me.
    They have about ten songs worth of original material, some press, and gigs set up. They're actually full time and I could end up getting paid for this. I was worried it could be a scam given how simple it all sounded, just show up, show us that you can pluck, learn the root notes, start touring and studio sessions.
    I honest to God need the money and the experience because I can rarely find others who want to start a permanent thing or who want to challenge each other. It looks like I won't have to do much at all here as a bassist, and the way they pitched it almost seemed like a get rich quick scheme. It's just all really quick and I'm unsure if it's natural, worried it might not be for me. I'd like to know anyone's thoughts or advice on this, but I'm also going to talk to my friend and my therapist about it too cause I really don't know what to think.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    If they are not asking you for money, I wouldn't worry about it. From your description, it sounds musically unrewarding, but if the money and the hang is good, maybe give it a try.

3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    How is a band with 10 songs full time? What do you mean by that?

I'll kinda repeat what Scottgun said. If they're not asking you for money, why not give it a try?

- John

MrBKerth, shadven, Jim Nazium and 2 others like this.
  4. B4zz3R

B4zz3R

Mar 14, 2019
    Okay, I guess I could try it.

They seem full time I guess. Like, they've just recently started kicking it into overdrive. That's what I mean by phishy. I'm worried when I go to see them in person, I'll get like mugged or something.

5. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like they are talking it up to make it sound better than it actually is. given the description of the genre i would think they may be able to get a gig but i wouldnt expect to see anyone in the audience. also 10 original songs is nothing and not enough material to be full time

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Impossible to tell until you get there. I once did an audition for a band with a full list of tunes, and a full PA with subs and custom IEMs at rehearsal and a full time sound man, and they were mediocre players who couldn't get more than three gigs in a year.

7. B4zz3R

B4zz3R

Mar 14, 2019
    They talk a lot about press and they have music videos and an EP or something coming out. It may be possible they've simply saved up for all of the equipment, studio space, videos, production and personnel.
    I'm inclined to be a little skeptical. I genuinely might not go, it seems just too off putting and very suspect, but I'll see what people IRL say. I'd rather make music I enjoy and challenge myself on both guitar and bass, even if it doesn't make money immediately. Thanks everyone for the input though, I just needed some second opinions to confirm my suspicions.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    "Full time" ... as in, no one has a day job? I'd keep a close watch on my wallet if I were you. ;)

My impression is that something is hinky about this deal. I don't know any band that would take the first guy who could "pluck and play the root notes" into an ongoing project. Most would seek out the best they could find. If it's a "get rich scheme" ... it ain't YOU that's gonna get rich. Just one man's jaded opinion ...

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    OP, take note.

Aqualung60 and hintz like this.
  10. B4zz3R

B4zz3R

Mar 14, 2019
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I haven't even met them yet, just talked on the phone, but it was moving way too fast. Like "get in here today and play, you'll most likely get the part and women love guys in a band!" It seems like I either get people who don't respond at all or people who want me to go on tour right away apparently (if it's real and satisfactory at all).
    I was talking to one guy who wanted to put something together. Just me and him so far. I'd rather do that cause he at least seems chill.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There's a very quick and easy way to see what's really going on here.

Shoot them a text or email or Facebook message or make a YouTube video (or however people "communicate" these days).

"Guys, I'm really excited about potentially working with you guys. I've been talking it up to my friends. How about sharing some of the press releases with me, or the video or EP material. Thanks!"

You'll know immediately if you're dealing with a band or a bunch of delusional wannabes.

12. They sound a little too desperate to me, but it couldn't be much worse than your current situation, right? Keep in mind that anybody can put out an EP or video from their bedroom these days. The only measure of a band's true success is how many people do they play for at their shows, and who is listening to them online.

Most original metal bands are doing pay-to-play situations so I would definitely not go into this thinking its going to help you financially. Do not give them any money unless you are sure what you are getting out of it.

13. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If they are an existing project i would at least want to know the name of the project before i show up for the audition. That way i can at least do a little research to see if they are a legit act or fictional entity that is going to steal your organs.

14. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Just hope none of them is reading your thread. :D

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Did their addy include the phrase "label interest"? If so, run like hell. They're also talking music videos and EP's so...mark my words...they'll be asking you to pony up your share of the costs.

All this without ever playing a single live paying gig.

Riis

OnederTone and SoCal80s like this.
  16. Let us know how it works out.

17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    How is a band with ten songs talking about touring? That will be a money loser right there.

I guess nothing to be lost checking them out, but I would be VERY careful to not get roped into a situation that will suck you dry monetarily and emotionally.

pcake and OnederTone like this.
  18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    this.

Enjoy touring. Don't do too many drugses. A little exercise is better than none, and work on your core and back are good for playing bass and projecting image. If you make half as much as you would doing 36hrs/week at McDs, be happy. Bring a DAW/portastudio.

thetragichero and mikewalker like this.
  19. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Give it a go if they're not asking you for money. Just keep in mind that with the amount of stuff bands can do on their own (recording, video production, etc.) it's not all that uncommon for local bands that don't make a dime to have all of this professional quality stuff. It's also not uncommon to tour without having label support. I've personally been on five separate tours all across the U.S. all with two different unsigned bands. I came out financially ahead, but we're talking a few hundred bucks total after sometimes more than a month.

So if you go into an originals band for the money, you're going to be disappointed.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Cheez likes this.