Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this sound like a really weak idea?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Alright guys, here's my situation. My band has had troubles finding a member to fill the "4th slot" to make it seem complete and has been functioning as a three piece for 2 years (the occasional guy here and there......if u've read my posts you'll hear about me kicking out this one guy who was in the band at one point a total of four times because noone was available). It's basically been me, a drummer, and a singer playing punk. Recently I've listened to a band called "pig destroyer", where they utilize a similar lineup of one GUITARIST, one singer, and one drummer. While they are more thrashy, I read at one point they were listed as "one of the top 10 most important bands in metal" and it got me thinking. Is it really so rediculous for me to do something similar after so much time spent on this project? In this band we've filled the void of the guitar/2nd bass by writing guitar like riffage, me dialing in a sound through my amp that projects both guitar and basslike aspects along with using heavy distortion, and the chemistry just seems so good between the three of us through the music that it just seems like whoever tries to join us could ruin it.

I guess my question is, would it seem really weak to bring out a lineup like the one I have onto stage if it sounded good?

2. The three piece sounds like a good idea to me!

You could also give the singer a guitar and make him take a shot at it. Your playing punk, right? Not too complicated to get him started...

3. haha, trust me, our singer is far too uncoordinated.....I once tried to show him how to play bass, it wasn't pretty.

it's not really punk tho........remember Stormtroopers of Death with their Crossover (punk-metal) sound? Think like that with more of a death metal twist to it (influences from Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Pig Destroyer, Black Dahlia murder, etc, etc)

4. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I could name many drums/bass/vocal duos or trios in many styles. Coa, Ruins, Skuldom... If it sounds good...

5. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Mophine was a 3 peice, Bass w/ 2 strings, Sax, and Drums. They had a huge sound and did really well!

R.I.P. Mark

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Hey, man, it's something interesting which gets you a solid place in people's memory - "Hey, that's the band with no guitarists!"

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    if it sounds good, and you enjoy it, and if the audience likes it, what possibly could be lame about that?
    though it may not be the same as yer thing, death from above 1979 has one fewer member, and they git-r-done.
    my (unsolicited) advice would be:
    eschew normalcy, embrace diversity and bugger the guitar!
    :D

8. the white stripes didnt need a bassist..

death from above doesnt need a guitar player..

if its not broken dont try and fix it

9. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Sounds like a cool idea to me....go with it and then ask people that you trust what they think of your shows. If people like it, then chances are you don't need to change anything. But if public opinion is negative on it, then you might want to change it if you're looking to get a wider audience.

Just my 2 pennies though.....

10. metallica didnt like cliff because he was good at holding a solid 8th note rythem..

be different and the crowd WILL accept you. people want to see something new

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe this is an excuse to buy an 8-string octaved bass? That would fatten up the sound and provide some high-end.

12. I would like to thank all of you for responding to this thread showing posts of encouragement and support. I've been thinking alot of the band's future...the genre debates of punk vs the harder material, my pigheaded sort of way of playing things, my style. And no, sorry, can't get an 8 string bass, certainly not now:) . Far too broke and too lazy to restring every time I break something:) . However I am willing to take donations from all of you :D .
    I think after a couple of years time thinking of cooking up success that I should finally take everything and put it in the melting pot. The writing styles of my drummer's past two bands, and my new preference of genre after years of individual playing. Recently I took my sound and lined it out to my old TKO65 (I play through a tnt130 mostly), boosted the midrange a bit more than it was already when it was sent, added a hint of treble, opened up the prescense and let the whole thing fly. GOOD GOD! After trying new ways to clarify the notes I was getting through with all the high gain and distortion, this bass guitar actually SOUNDED LIKE IT HAD AN ASS!! I guess it must be the difference in how the combos are tuned, because for 65 watts it sure does sound thick. I plan to hopefully meet up with the guys on saturday, fly through some new material, and hopefully schedule some gigs. I'll let you all know how things have went!
    Until then,
    Jim

13. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Check out MAN Incorporated with Matt McGuire playing bass, singing, and playing a kick drum all at the same time, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. Don't know if it's an issue to you, but if you use fingers, it's still possible to play that kind of riffage ala Lemmy Kilmister. Check out my recent post in the No Country thread. You actually have a better situation than I do, so don't let not having a guitar hold you back.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

15. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Local boys, Local H are a two-piece where the guitarist/singer modded his guitar to send out a separate bass feed (I had heard he strung a bass string on there too...never got to see 'em in person, alas) to fill their instrument void. Just another creative solution... Think about a unibass (octave up), multi-strings, or other effects...so many options...but I really agree with the comment above -- if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Pretty good info between these two posts.

I went to the clatter site, where they had pictures and video of them doing what they do. You can see the Clatter Bassist's twin stacks for her bass tone, and the more guitar-ish part of her sound (in still pics).

On the video you can hear an overdub-less example of how it ends up sounding in a two-piece mix (there was something funny going-on with the vocal, though - a harmonist machine, maybe? Does the drummer sing? - it didn't look like it.

Model your self after that, Man; pretty impressive!

Don't forget the UniBoss signal-splitting method - using a Boss CEB-3 - for the feed to the guitar amp. Powerful, man; powerful.

Joe

17. Clatter is pretty badass!

18. So I've definitely been thinking about expanding my pedals.....on the other hand, I don't want to worry about losing "my sound" by going from one pedal in the chain to about 10....any real good bypass loopers that can be suggested? and how they work?

also, I've been hearing it since I've began playing the bass and it's been getting to me lately because A: I know myself and the band aren't terribly good at it and B: it's a pain in the ass and I would rather play my own stuff because I know the sound I'm going for. Covers. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of covers. I DESPISE the mainstream. And I know it can turn anything different and exciting into an "original" simply because people don't know it. I also happen to on occasion be into covering something from the 80s in terms of punk. But punk is really all the guys I'm working with know. I mean, sure we can lay a rap beat, but in terms of actual structure, we know punk. I just happen to be good enough to lay some things you usually wouldn't find "punk" and I can translate it to make it work. Plus, this lineup is a bit of an oddjob (unless I find a keyboardist or guitarist) with Covers...Any suggestions on how to make things work other than learning how to play bach etudes on bass at 255bpm in an effort to impress? Because from the looks of the post of "becoming a pro. an exchange of emails with my father" that's what it sounds like.

19. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Here are some suggestions for cover material, they might be too far from metal for you but I know they can be adapted.

British traditional folk songs. The melodies are designed to work as unaccompanied vocals, some of the darker ones will work great if you bang'em out on bass and add sung or screamed vocals. Some of the happier songs will work great if you just add three flats to the key signature. Some titles: "Tam Lin", "Sheath And Knife", "Derwentwater's Farewell", "Mattie Groves", "False Lamkin", "Pills Of White Mercury".

Townes Van Zandt songs. DARK country, I sometimes get the feeling that the songs would be better off as metal. "Lungs", "Our Mother The Mountain", "Highway Kind", "Tecumseh Valley".

Richard Thompson. "Shoot Out The Lights". It's about Muslim holy warriors in Afghanistan but don't let that stop you.

Leonard Cohen. If you take "The Partisan" and make it heavy and violent...

Jazz standards. Play slowly without swing or jazzy ornamentation and you can end up with great metal riffs. "Moonlight On The Ganges", "The Thrill Is Gone", "It's Alright With Me".

Classical themes. Not at 255 bpm, not in an effort to impress. Some of these are better metal riffs than 90% of metal bands could ever write. I've already played metal versions of Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 1, "Ases Tod" by Grieg, Tchaikovsky's Slavic March... might do Schubert's "Doppelganger" soon. The latter has a very grim and simple bass line. Just take the basic theme and repeat it as a riff.

20. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I play in a bass+drums duo. I use a Boss OC-2 octave pedal and play way up the neck. The signal is then fed through a poopload of distortion.

Sounds massive, and I like it :D