Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this sound like a virus?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 74rickbass, May 11, 2004.

1. After about 10-15 minutes after I start-up my computer, it starts to go Really slow. It does it evertime. I'm getting annoyed. so, does it sound like a virus?

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Could be. Could also be Spyware or just general Windoze bit-rot.

What version of OS is on it? What are the specs on the machine? How long since you last rebuilt it? Do you have any AV software on it?

3. Your symptoms sound a whole lot like the SASSER Virus. Install the latest update for your respective A/V program, and download the SASSER patch from Windows Update (if your using Windows).

4. ass_9

ass_9

May 4, 2004
    Can you run scandisk?Try that then try searching My Computer and any Programs files you might have. Anything with a weird icon or funny lettering might be a virus or it might be hidden. Then look at any files you have been sent or dowloaded since it started. Any see if there any attached files to emails. Go to a computer store and buy an anti virus program if you have money or the time. If it isn't a virus you probably just need more memory, your computer needs a certain amount of memory to run programs.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    When this happens for me, I just wipe the drive. I use one HD for data, and the other for the OS. If this is a recent problem, it sounds like it's just time for spring cleaning.

I know you may not be in my situation, but see if you can find someone to "refresh" your machine.

:bassist:

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Buy a Mac.

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Now you're getting the hang of it.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, I want everyone to own a Mac...because then I won't have to work on computers anymore, I can get out of this IT hell I'm in and get back to my love of the arts...painting, writing my novel and playing music...full time.

Were it not for PC based problems I wouldn't have a "day" job. If everyone has a Mac instead of a PC, all of the problems will be Mac problems, and I don't work on Macs...so I won't be needed and I can get back to what I should be doing full time anyway.

It's not that I've switched over to the dark side...I just have ulterior motives. :)

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Truly. That would be some kind of Utopia. I just finished smashing my last Windoze machine with a short length of red pipe. I think I bent it :(

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    About 12, maybe 13 degrees?

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    About that. I just don't know what to do with it.

12. mac's or pc? I don't care, just give me linux *g*, removes most pc problems really quick.

@74rickbass: Sounds more like typical windoze slowness happening due to excessive registry size and disk fragmentation, although it might also be Sasser. In any case, just install your AV updates and the security patch. If it helps, good, if not: format c: and install linux (or windows if you absolutely have to)

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA