1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this sound like flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ss81, Apr 30, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    For anyone who's heard the Pixies song "Debaser", I've always wondered how that bass intro sounded so stacatto and percussive. Then I was at a guitar shop yesterday playing a few basses, and I came across a p-style fretless with flatwounds on it, and I ended up getting a really similar sound. Does anyone else think it sounds like the bass on that track might be fitted with flatwounds? My band plays similar loud alternative rock, and I play pretty basic 8th note patterns with a pick. I had always figured rounds were the obvious choice for that kind of setup, but this is making me think about experimenting with flats.

2. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I remember reading that Kim always uses rounds -- no particular brand, just "whatever the tech puts on."

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Flats can work great, but after listening to it just now it sounds to me like rounds played with a pick and some light palm muting, and maybe some of the highs rolled off with a tone control.