Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this sound right to you?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by waxlabltabler, Oct 1, 2002.

1. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    I tried tabbing the main melody of Unkle's "Rabbit In Your Headlights". The first part seems to fit. I dunno about the second. Can you tell me if it's off, and if so, why and by how many steps, please?

MY Version:

G|---0--------------|-
    D|-2---2-4----0---3-|-
    A|----------2---1---|-
    E|------------------|-

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How many steps does it take for a rabbit to get out of the headlights? ;)

Is it an avatar of Eastre?

3. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    C'mon. I'm being serious here.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    tabs? let's move this thread down there.......

Chris A.:rolleyes:

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't know the song so can't comment on the tab you've written. Here's a tip though - use the font selection tool to post the tab in courier font. This is monospaced so the tab lines up and makes it a bit easier to read.

It would also help to add some indication of the duration and timing of the notes. I'm left wondering if it's straight eighths or, based on your spacing, some fancy work with rests and sixteenths at the end:

G|---0--------------|-
    D|-2---2-4---0----3-|-
    A|----------2---1---|-
    E|------------------|-
       1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 
       e e e e rssrrsrs

???

Wulf

6. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    I fixed it. I guess i should also mention that these are the roots of the main melody not the actual bassline.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's much better - I'm afraid I still can't help any more as I don't know the actual song. The riff sounds quite fun played off your tab - sorry I can't help with whether it's actually right or not :rolleyes:

Wulf

8. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
  9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I couldn't get your link to work but searched for Unkle on the CDNow page and came up with this one instead.

I have to say that I can't really relate the snippet I did find there to the tab you wrote (could be because I used the Real Player version instead of the WMA one, but I expect them to be the same).

Also, why are you trying to write bass tab for the piano part? I'd be interested to know what your 'big picture' plan is for what you're doing.

Wulf

10. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    im just testing my ear, seeing if my notes match those chords. on a side note, the tab i have for the original bassline doesn't sound too good.

11. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    So umm, any answers? Are my roots correct?

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The snippet I managed to hear of the song didn't seem to relate to the short bit of tab you gave. Have you got any way of isolating those two bars and posting them on a website somewhere?

If you're trying to get into learning things by ear, I'd also recommend checking out Transcribe! (which is an excellent, shareware, program to help with the process - you can try a full version for a month before deciding whether to buy).

In fact, while you're at it, you might also want to try the advice given in this article I noticed while reminding myself of the previous URL.

Wulf

13. Deadeye093

Deadeye093

Nov 25, 2002
    you're doing good for the start but...

G|----0-------------------
    D|-2-----2--4----2----4--
    A|-------------0----2-----
    E|------------------------

...i think it should go a bit like this.

Sorry about my crappy tab spacing...im having trouble with my font.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The secret is to surround it with (FONT=courier new)the font code(/FONT) to use the monospaced courier font (using square brackets instead of parentheses. I often type up tab examples in a text editor and then copy and paste in.

The other trick to be aware of is if you want to use spaces, for example, putting the count below the piece of tab. Web browsers normally compress multiple spaces down to a single space - to get round that, replace all spaces with the special HTML code   (non-breaking space) - the ampersand at the start and semi-colon at the end inform the browser of the start and end of the code. Therefore, you can give time markings like:

q    q    q  e e

rather than

q q q e e

Hope that helps.

Wulf :)