1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this sound strange to you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mark beem, Apr 28, 2006.

1. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I guess this is more aimed at the dealers represented here...

So, I'm talking with a certain dealer about a bass I saw on their website. The bass is new/old stock but we're talking "20 years" new/old stock (it's a 1986 model).. However, he's still asking the same price it was selling for from 20 years ago..

So, is 20 years in-store on a rack (who knows the last time the strings were changed, it was cleaned and set up, not to mention how many have monkey-pawed it over that time) still considered "as new" in order to still ask the new price from back when it actually -was- new? At what point does "new/old" stock become "old/old" stock becomes just plain "old"?

In your opinion is the business justified in asking this much?

:confused: :help:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Interesting indeed. Considering inflation, it seems like the "new" price in 1986 would be a fair asking price.

-Mike

3. i would assume that eventually he'd want to move it...unless its something that might have a vintage value...maybe gibson or fender...i don't know about 1986 though (anything that was made after i was born i don't consider vintage...yet)...but I would certainly think that if it hasn't sold in 20 years, i would just want to get rid of it...

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It really depends on the bass.

Is the warranty still going to be valid? I'd check with the manufacturer directly. If it is, then he might have a case, as ridiculous as it seems.

But, if the warranty is dead, then he can't possibly justify the full new 1986 price.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Ok, well the dealer assures me that the manufacturer will indeed honor the warranty. I got the serial number from him to check for myself anyway. Another "minus" is that it's been hanging in a window all this time and has had quite a bit of fading on the finish...

:meh:

6. btw, what kind of bass is it?

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Well, in wanting to keep "brand bias" out of this I'd rather not say..

We'll call it a "Flambo Jazz bass"..

;)

8. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    First thing i'd be wondering about is why hasn't this thing sold, what's the matter with it? but if you play it and know it's a good bass then pay what you think is reasonable. I'd say yes it is a weird practice to keep it at the same price. But if it's this guys business he can do what he wants

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd be shocked if the dealer honors the warranty. In addition, any condition, like fading, which cause the bass to be less than new makes it used in my book. After 20 years of hanging in a window being fingered by every teenaged kid in town, I just don't consider that a new bass. I would offer him a fair, used price.

When you get enough responses, I would love to know what kind of bass we're talking about.

10. yeah, i would tell him that it isn't new :)
    it's 20 years old!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hand him a 20-year old uneaten cheeseburger and ask him to take a bite, since it's "new" and all ;) As Mike said though, prices in '86 were less than they are now- how much are they asking for the bass?

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Over $850

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, better be a really nice Flambo for that price.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, is it worth it to you to bother trying to continue to press this guy, or is this a bass that you can find used without fading but perhaps chips in the paint with little ease? Is it a custom color (now faded)?

Honestly, without knowing the brand, I don't know how anyone can offer informed advise. I mean--if it's an 86 kubicki, it's one thing. If it's an 86 Fender, it's something else.

If you can find another bass you dig for "over $850," why are you continuing to try for this one?

15. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    if he won't move on the price it'll probably sit there for another 20 years then maybe it'll double in value :p

I dunno how he can expect to get full price if the finish has been in the sun too long.

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'm not looking for advice, I'm wanting to get other's opinions on what constitutes "new / old" stock vs. "old / old" stock. I just want to know what -you- think; is the dealer justified in charging "new" price (as it was then) for a bass that's been sitting in a store for 20 years when by his own admission it's definitely -not- in "new" condition..

No, the model is not one that (I've seen) come up on the used market very often. It's a discontinued line. In all likelihood I'm going to pass on it. IMO it's not worth what he's asking. I don't want to reveal the make/model because the thread would no doubt be inundated with "Brand X" decriers wanting to know "why anyone would want to have one of them, much less consider buying one that's 20 years old"...

So again, it's at this point not an issure of brand but an issue of principle (or principal.. was never sure on proper word usage in this context.. :meh: ).

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I don't think it can pass as new anymore. Even if it had no fading issues, it still can not be sold as a new item. 20 years have gone by, it is not new no matter how you look at it.

-Mike

18. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    well on the sheer principal, nope shoudln't be full price esp if the finish is showing age.

19. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I agree, for example in the early/mid 80's you could get a MIA Fender or G&L bass for around $400.
    Don't think you could get a new or used mid 80's Fender or G&L for $400 now.

20. Well, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if the finish is faded noticably, it definitely isn't in "new" condition anymore. You should tell him he needs to lower that price based on that fact alone.