does this sterling look right?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 6, 2005.

1. OK i am interested in purchasing this sterling from someone, but for one... I dont think they make a sunburst with sparkles do they? and also does it look like the bottom frets are worn out?

Attached Files:

2. So hard to tell from just looking at a pic. But that finish is great, just not in production anymore.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Frets always look weird in photos. I wouldnt worry about it. It takes a LONG time to wear out frets. The finish is a great finish, its just not in production anymore. The bass looks fine to me. Props for considering a Sterling for your next purchase!
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Mmm, looks yummy from here.
  5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I remember the sparkle burst in that color. No clue about the frets.
  6. If the frets are worn out from the 12th fret up, you've got more problems down below the 7th than you can imagine. But you can't tell from the photo. The one clue you might be able to get is that worn frets mean lots of play. Lots of play means player wear and tear usually. If the rest of the instrument is nice and the frets have only slight shiny or flat spots, they're fine. However, most any used neck might need a sprucing up on the frets.
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Brunt apple is the name of the color i think :D

BTW that looks like a dried board.

EDIT: autum red
    I bet that this is the first time youve been shown a basscentral enlarged pic :D

8. that finish is actually called autumn red burst. theyre not as common as other finishes. id snag it.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    burnt apple is darker.
  10. exactly.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Am i the only person who never has liked sunburst on an EB bass? Honey burst is okay, but for some reason i cant dig regular sunburst :<
  12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Check my previous post
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The color you posted is a color where the fade is from the bottom to top, not around the middle. I think its different.
  14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    yeah the SUNRISE patern, but its the same color
  15. I'm with you. I don't like sunburst finish on anything really, except Les Paul g**tars (sorry for the profanity).

I really dig natural tones on G&L and EB basses and I like solid colors on Fenders.

However, with that said, I care much more about how an instrument plays and sounds than how it looks.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...awww man, I remember that bass...

I had one on order for myself in that finish, unlined fretless....then my ex lost her job, and I lost all my disposable it's a discontinued color....oh well....

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wow i had a problem like that last year i was hoping to get €2000 but just got €1000 and now i just can get an amp or a bass :crying: and i want both.
  18. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Me like!
    I would buy it.