Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this type of bridge exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Jul 9, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I'm getting a custom Alder body from USACG, I'm looking for a 4 string bridge which is strung thru body, but also has string spacing adjustment. Does this type of bridge exist? If so, by which company(s)?

Cheers

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The Hipshot style "A" has the thru-body option.

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Now when you say option, is this standart option on all "A" type Hipshot bridges, or there is a special model nubmer on that?

Cheers

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Nino, I already checked out the website, the only thing unclear to me is the string spacing, can I adjust that 4 string 'A" style bridge for string spacing, so I get more of a 5 string feel.

Cheers

6. Hi!

Yes, with the A style, you can set the string spacing, and put your strings through the body.
    With the B style, you can't put strings trough the body and you can't set the string spacing

I know this well because I'm a F Bass fan and George is using only them....
    Considering also that I'll take infos for myself as I'll order one...

Hope it helps
    Vince

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I believe that they offer different spacings. You could geive em a call or an email just to make sure if they have what you're looking for.

Normally, IME, 5 string spacing is slightler narrower that 4's.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    That's what I want - narrower spacing, but not too much, but also have the option to change it. So if you say they offer different string spacing, does that mean I cant adjust it on the bridge and have to order one that is set, and not adjustable.

Cheers

9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    It use to be that you had to ask for the thru-body option, but now they all(style "A") come with the holes in the bottom of the bridge.

The style "A" bridge is offered in the following spacings in the 4-string:

That is measured from center to center from one string to the next.
    Each string saddle is slightly adjustable on the style "A" unlike the style "B" where the saddles are at a set distance from each other.

Hope this helps.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Can you please define slightly - by how much?

Cheers

11. If you need more adjustment than that offered by these bridges discussed, I have devised and make an alteration to the Schaller roller bridges that allows thru-body stringing. This does not work with standard Fender locations but is useful for custom builds.

12. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Yeah that was my next question, can I buy one like that and just drill holes in it, if there is space for extra 4 holes.

Chers

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Could you provide details of this mod please?