Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does tolex absorb odors (smoke)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred312b, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I did a search and didn't find anything conclusive, so... anyways, i am looking for a new light(er)weight rig since i am not getting any younger. i was looking at gk's neo stuff, having been very happy with the gk products i have owned in the past, but then i checked out ea's website and noticed that they mention their cabinets covering doesn't abosorb smoke and odors. Now i have never heard ea's stuff (and i will try before i buy) but being a non-smoker with a sensitive nose, i think that this is a cool idea. so this begs the question, does tolex absorb smoke from bars and such? i know some of it is not as durable as carpet and such, but i baby my gear (as anyone who has bought any of my old gear will attest) so that's not as big an issue to me. thanks for all your input.

2. This is only a guess but it seems that tolex would not absorb odors nearly as much (if at all) when compared to carpet. One thing's for sure, it would be much easier to clean off any odors that may get in there.

3. It is nowhere near as bad as carpet. Tolex is vinyl and my older cabs do have some smoke and rancid beer smell, but it may be in the wood and not the tolex. I think EA is using the truck bed liner material like Dr. Bass, but I'm not sure about that. My solution is that I only play smoke free venues these days, unless there is a heck of a ventilation system. I walked out of one gig a couple years ago that I was told was smoke free and it wasn't.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA defintely uses stuff comparable to spray on bed lining for trucks. No, it doesn't hold odor like carpet, or to a lesser degree tolex. It seemed like only a minor option till I got my EA cabs. Now I don't think I'll ever use a cab without it again (even if I have to refinish a cab with this stuff in the future). BTW, that spray on covering blows both tolex and carpet away in regards to durability.