Does Trace Elliot have a "signature sound"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boing, Aug 23, 2009.

1. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    I've never played one, but for some reason my foggy memory of the 80s thinks TE was all about solid state, ultra-clean, hi-fi tone. I dunno why I thought that, I just did. Now, in the clarity of my advanced years, I'm reading about mondo tube heads and such. Yeah, they can be clean and everything, but it's just not the impression I had of the line.

Is Trace known for a particular sound, like Ampeg is, and GK, etc...?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

NO!

Paul

3. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    well, if you're going by Mark King, then yes, but my Trace V6 and 2x15 cab would certainly disagree with you!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Trace was always kind of a tweener to me. Angrier than most solid state amps, but not quite like a tube amp. Clean not totally hi fi clean. Never got to try their tube amps, though. Those who used them had pretty varying styles, so it really didn't have a signature tone that stands out.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, two.........

their solid state stuff was LOUD and had kind of an odd but pleasant midrange bump. Not really honky, but a bit rounder if you will. I always thought of them as sounding like getting hit by a baseball bat.

the V series tube amps had an alembic/fender front end preamp. The tube section in the poweramp definitely got a little growly when pushed.

Both were very aggressive sounding, just in different ways.

FWIW, i always dug their heads a lot more than the cabs.

6. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The V8 had a signature sound louder than most everything else.:ninja:

7. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Years ago, when the group Big Country came out, I identified the pre-shape (smiley face) EQ curve with Trace as I believe that they were the first to incoporate such a dramatic sound into a push button (albeit it could have been achieved with many amps with graphic equalizers).
    Ironicaly it's not a tone setting that I love and now that I have a Trace, my opinion is that it is a well built amp with very conservative power ratings. Mine is an older 350 watt UK version (without the tube preamp) that feels much more powerful than an SVT, 3-Pro, and SWR SM400.
    As far as the tone, it is much more hi-fi than my other amps and is neautral and perhaps a bit sterile; it is also the least used.
    It does have a way cool black light, and that's good.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021