Does upstrokes and downstrokes..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    ...make a difference when picking?

Just wondering
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, several things can affect this. If you're playing with a pick, if you play all downstrokes you're notes sounds more seperated and "chunky" if you will. If you play downstroke upstroke downstroke... etc. You get a smoother sound. Or if you're playing a chord and you do a slow downstroke or upstroke it can decide which note is being played first. This is more common in guitar though... hope what I'm saying makes sense.
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Yeah, what he said!!
  4. fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    You can play a lot faster, and a lot more comfortably, when you alternate pick (for those who alternate pick, of course.
  5. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I don't pick bass, but I do play guitar. I used to always only use down strokes on guitar, and when I started alternate picking, it helped me, a lot.

For one thing, I don't get tired as quickly now. I can play quicker. And I can get from one note to another a lot less clumsily.

Of course there's some riffs I still play all downstrokes, just because I'm used to it, and it comes natural to me.

But yeah, I think you will benefit learning to alternate pick. It takes some practice to get to do it good, but when you do, it's really nice.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Alternate picking is smoother and faster. Downstrokes have more punch to them.
  7. carruthers1970

carruthers1970 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    Here is a riff, mail me if you like it!!!
  8. I rarely use picks, but most guitarist I know will play downstrokes only when playing powerchords (more punch) and alternate picking direction when playing solos or just strumming chords
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pretty slick
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Do you know that Metallica's "Master of Puppets" is played with all downstrokes?

James and Co. must have forearms of steel! So do I, but it ain't from downstroking!

11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, I'd be willing to bet about 50% is, if you know what I mean... :D;):eek:
  12. i know what your talking about hehe. wait......we are talking about ....o yeah! haha :confused: :D :p :rolleyes: