Does Warwick make a Thumb 5 and 6 fretless Bolt-on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ... Because Ive been gassing for a 5 strings because Ive really been wanting a high C string. I plan on possibly buying hipshots for the bass because I plan to tune the 5 string(If i get it) DADGC and DADAD, I rarely play in standard tuning anymore And ive been playing my Ibanez(my testing, beater bass) in DADA and ive really been wishing that there was a other high string on there!

I went to guitar center the other day and picked upa Thumb Bolt on fretted 5er(smaller neck version), And I loved it. Im not a fan of the low B, but damn did it play good. The only thing I didnt like was I could really rest my finger anywhere, But I could just stack some peices of velcro on to make a thumb rest. Now I remember a few months ago playing a Thumb 4 fretless with roundwounds and I loved it, The best fretless I ever played.

But ive never seen a fretless Thumb 5 or 6 bolt on. And Warwick doesnt have much info on the website. If you guy could give me a review of the fretless 5 (if there is one) And maybe picture would help too :D .
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

There's a lot of great used warwicks there including fretless Thumb BO 5's and 6's
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

4. Well :rolleyes: , I was talking about on the Thumb BO page itself. When I say "not much info", I mean, They have no pictures of it(fretless), And they dont show it (fretless) as an option on the main info page and what not.

Anywho, Thanks Whafro.
  5. A fretless bolt-on Thumb 5, I mean. Very neck-heavy & not a lot of 'mwah'. But they definitely make them. I've seen a few on eeediot-bay. I think there's a fretless 6 at Basscentral.
  6. Ok, I'm not really looking for Mwah out of this bass., And I dont plan on using flatwounds on it so thats a good thing for me. I just really like the sound of a slide on a fretless, And just really want a fretless, I also loved the look of the fretless 4 when I first saw it. And theres a couple of fretless 5 and 6ers on basscentral. They have just what I was looking for, An unlined thumb 5 fretless. Since GC carries them, Ill ask my friend who works there, If he can order one from Warwick.

Heres the thing, Do I have to change the nut? I plan to tune to DADGC.
  7. If you want to go w/a larger string than what's in a particular slot, you will likely have to make room for it. If it's just a hair or two, you can do it yourself. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, it should not cost too much to have it done. If you're ordering a brand-new bass, I would hope GC can throw in a setup- but we are talkin *GC* here... :rolleyes:
  8. No, no, no, no, Hell no. I wont let guitar center do anything for me, They want 150 bucks for a rewire...

Theres a guy that does work like this around here out of his house, So If I have to Id just take it to him. Since ill also be tuning the C and G strings up to A and D (for DADAD) Ill try and find a 6 sring set that has a .100 E, .80 A, .60 D, .35 or 40 G, and a .28 C.
  9. Oh, Im not talking about the ultra Low D, Im talking about 2 steps below the standard open E, Ya know, "Drop D".
  10. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    FYI. A while back I bought a $$ fretless 4. Of course nobody has this in stock. I talked to Dale Titus at Dana B. Good and he told me that they stock fretless necks and that they could change out the neck of any BO bass. I had my fretless $$ within two days of ordering it. Phenominal service! I don't know of another mfg or distributor that could do this that quick. They are really good about giving advice on what you're contemplating. BTW, bought the bass through BassCentral. Cheers.