1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Wenge shrink???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MrLenny, Nov 2, 2006.

1. MrLenny

MrLenny

Jun 10, 2006
    So. N.H.
    I have Tobias Classic with Wenge fingerboard. The fret ends
    seem too long, rough on the skin when slide fingers down the neck.
    Seems worse in winter months. Is it the wenge or poor
    fret dressing job???

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    All wood will swell and contract if the ambient humidity changes drastically. If the frets were first installed in a rather humid area, and your location is more arid, it's not surprising that they're a little jagged.

Have your local tech check 'em out, some quick fret work and they should be smooth as a baby's butt.

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    When it gets cold - like in a pool.

Edit: OOoohhh, the WOOD named wenge. Nevermind.

;-)

4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I have that problem with my ebony board basses!
    And I even have them bound in a less dense (than ebony) wood like walnut, wenge, maple
    it still happens every now and again, a qiuck file and dress- good as new.
    unless the neck is high glossed- then the finish wil pop off at each fret end.

this is also common among ebony boarded gibson guitars because the use plastic binding- a the fret ends it cracks

You dont hear of this problem as much with wenge boards but over time Sh*t happens.

5. seekir

seekir

Jun 30, 2006
    Hawaii
    I live on the humid Big Island of Hawaii, and made the mistake of keeping an acoustic guitar out of the case in an upstairs room in a heated house in the winter when I was visiting family on the mainland - the top split between the bridge and strap button. I assume it was the heated air rising up to the upstairs room drying out the guitar which caused rapid shrinkage of the top wood. I'd have been smart to keep the instrument in the case with a humidifier (I've heard of keeping moist absorbent materials [even appple slices] in the case in perforated containers to accomplish this.)

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yes, yes it does.

7. Different woods shrink at different rates, too. That's one reason you have to adjust the trussrod with seasonal changes. The neck shaft and the fretboard are made of different woods, shrink/swell different amounts, and you get some movement. It's the nature of wooden instruments.