1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does what bass you play matter soundwise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Aug 17, 2007.

1. obviously it will for feel but surely different pickups and things cant make THAT much of a difference seeing as you can just EQ practically any sound you want with a good amp.

feel free to prove me wrong, i'd like to find out.

Thanks.
    Bass_Junkie.

2. Why not just go to a shop and prove yourself wrong. :(

3. but it just seems that i can get the same sound out of a jazz and a p just by EQing.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think that you can do a lot with eqs. I don't think you can do THAT much though.
    I guess there s something to the character of an instrument that is very hard to "out-eq".I find it hard to put into words what I am trying to say, but all I have noticed is, that I tend to recognize my instrument when I hear it recorded( unsure if that is , because i recognize myselve as the player or ifI recognize the instrument )...:confused:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, the first poster is sort of right. In the end, it doesn't matter what bass you play as long as you do a good job. However, there are a lot of variances in how different basses sound that can't be accomplished with Eq. So in that respect you were wrong.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh, it matters. If I could just EQ the sound int owhat I wanted, I'd never get rid of a single bass. EQ is a supplemental sort of tool - if it's not there already, you can't really fix it with EQ, y'know?

7. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    The construction of a P and a J is essentially pretty much the same, which is where the bulk of the sound comes from. Try doing the same thing with a Rickenbacker 4001. Or a Wal. Or an Alembic. Or a Warwick Thumb. Or a Hofner etc etc etc.

8. papadesophie

papadesophie

Mar 11, 2007
    +1.

For the record, if you can find the same sound just by eqing, why the dickens did Leo bother sticking 2 pickups on the J??

And I can't make my P sound like my SUB no matter how hard I try....

9. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i cant make my stingray sound like my rickenbacker or my rickenbacker sound like a thumb..

the sounds of the bass is very very important to me.. its not just about EQ its about the overtones, the texture, the way chords sound, sustain.. i could go on

the sound of a bass guitar is a lot more than just what you can change with an EQ

10. +1 well said. The way a particular bass sounds also affects the way you respond to it. Different tones, different tone subtleties, will make you play differently.

I'd add also how it feels in your hands and slung over your shoulder to play is another fundamental aspect.

Nonetheless, on the tone issue alone, does it make a big difference to a listener's ears? Probably not.

11. ok, thanks for the responses, next time i'm at a guitar shop i'll try something comepletely different to a p or a j and see how my EQing goes.

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If that were true, you could buy a $200 SX bass and eq it into a $8000 Fodera. Pure garbage! Who ever told you that? If that were true there would no need for different brands of basses.

A Stringray could sound like a Hofner, could sound like an Alembic, could sound like a Jazz, could sound like a no name 1970 Japanese copy of a P bass. Do you really believe that?

13. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm calling BS too. I mean, I can tell the difference between a P and J real easy and my ear pales in comparison to others. I might still sound like a Fender, but a P does not sound like a J and vice versa. It might get close, but humbuckers don't sound like single-coils, you can't EQ p/u placement into the equation, I could go on and on. And I'm not even bringing up other brands that have unique sound like EBMM, Alembic, Warwick, or Wal. The bass you play makes a HUGE difference in your overall sound. I doubt that Geddy would sound like Geddy if he played a hollowbody. He, like the rest of us, chooses a bass that lets him get HIS sound.

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If I could make an SX sound like my Modulus, why would I have spent that much money on a bass? Same goes for all of my Stingrays.

Craftsmanship & playability have a large part as well...

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    +1 and amen.

As I have related before, my band mutinied when I substituted my Jazz for my Precision at a gig. I stand where they can't see me while we're playing (I'm just behind and to the right of the singer) so it wasn't the appearance. In fact, the other guys don't seem to pay the least attention to what my bass looks like...but they sure as hell know how it sounds.

For a year or so I played a G&L Tribute L2000, and I was proud of the fact that I could make it sound "kinda" like a Jazz or "kinda" like a Precision or "kinda" like a Stingray.

But once I got the P, all that went out the window. "Kinda" lost out to "IS".

If you're not picky about your sound, it's true that you can approximate sounds, but a Jazz will NEVER sound like a Precision and vice versa -- and that's only two models of bass by one manufacturer.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Not if you solo the bridge pickup on the Jazz.

17. Yes. Pick-up placement/type, IMO, change the attack of the bass. A pick-up right near the neck wouldn't have the same attack as one right near the bridge. and vice versa, but with...um... thump.

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I can make all my basses sound the same. All I have to do is run the treble and mids at -12 and turn the tone knob down. Viola! Instant bass mush. :D

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

There's all this talk that "tone is in the fingers". Sure, technique affects tone. But technique and EQ alone can't make a P sound exactly like a J or a Ric or a Warwick or an Alembic or whatever.

In short, the bass is critical for tone. Technique only goes so far. Here's an example: I recently sat in with a friend's band. His bassist is a much better player than I. He was using an American Deluxe PJ bass, AMP BH420 set flat, and Acme B2 cabs. He had an unusual and interesting tone for a Motown guy: snappy treble and big lows. When I sat in, I didn't touch the settings on his bass. The result is that I sounded just like him. Not style-wise, but tone-wise.

20. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I see both sides of this. I figure that any two pickup bass can give a respectable neck sound and a cutting bridge sound. My priorities for choosing a bass are:

Price
    Playability
    Durability
    looks/tone (tie)

Having said that, my bass choices are pretty conventional. Fretted two pickup solidbody. Rickies and Hofners, etc aside, I think mainstream bass companies tend to cater to this market.

Glenn