1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does what I want exist? (p bass content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Here is the long and the short of it. I'm a p bass guy. I know that now. I have my old school P + flats set up down pat. Now I'm looking for a "modern rock" set up. I want the aggressive p bass tone but with the ability to get some great harmonics. This lead me to a pj or a p + h setup. In any possible set up, I want a p style neck. By that I mean at least 1.625 at the nut. Here is the kicker, I have a budget of about $600. Help! You guys haven't failed me yet. I'm sure this time will be no different. Thanks!

2. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
  3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    Okay, I am in the SAME boat as you. P bass guy... That's what I want... I Found what I was looking for 2 days ago when my MTD CRB showed up. :)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--MTDCRB5

4. Coljbass

Coljbass

Jul 16, 2012
    copenhagen
    Schecter basses are fantastic. I recommend the 'Model T' with a maple neck. The Seymour Duncan P/J pickups are pretty versatile.

Not sure of the retail on these but you could find one 2nd hand within your budget. :)

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Well... Your budget shoots the Rick 4003 idea all to hell! But that brand will get you what you want!

6. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I have 2 model ts including the first year ash body with mary kaye finish. Put lollars pups in them. They have jazz profile necks. Killer basses but original poster is looking for a p neck. Retail on them is above his budget but used they are around $450.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Get any P bass you like and slap a DiMarzio Will Power Middle in it. You'll get all of the awesome modern P bass tone and the ability to get killer harmonics.

8. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Wizards...all of you. But I think this Will Power Middle might be the answer. :hyper: Any more thoughts out there?

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I love my Yamaha bb424x, but if you really love that p sound, I think blending with a second pickup takes away a lot of it. The MTD p bass is really nice and had a great aggressive sound too.

If you're ok with the two pickup sound, that Yamaha can get really aggressive.