1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Windex really clean guitar strings well?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Jul 18, 2008.

1. i heard the myth, get back to me on that.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did you just watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding??

LOL

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I really doubt it, glass and strings are two completely different things. The only method I've heard of is boiling your strings.

4. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    DO NOT BOIL THEM. metal + water = rust. wipe them down (along with the neck and fingerboard) every time you play and they wont get dirty as quick. if you cant afford new strings but your old ones are DEAD, clean them in denatured alcohol from the hardware store. there is a post somewhere on here about building a device from PVC that makes it a lot easier. the alcohol works better at dissolving the funk off your strings, and will completely evaporate afterwards. the effects of the cleaning last longer as well.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Boiling was a standard practice in the 70's when everyone was playing Jamersons flats (we just didn't know the name of the strings would be iconic). It was hard to find a place but some motel rooms with kitchenettes had a large enough pot to cook them up. The process removed the dirt between the winds and the strings would come 'alive' again. Let them dry in the sun for a few hours and then restring your bass before 'show time'.

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I drink Windex when I feel like taking my clothes off.
    It prevents streaking.
    :D

7. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Ive used Gary Willis' method from his "101 Bass Tips" book: remove & coil the strings; pre-heat your oven to its lowest temperature; boil the strings for 10-12 minutes; leaving the strings coiled, pat dry with a towel; wrap in foil; poke a few holes in the foil for ventilation; put the strings in the oven for 5-10 minutes; remove strings from oven & let cool; put them back on your bass.

It worked for me...

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

+1 The Gary Willis method provides excellent results. For regular cleaning I wipe down the strings with Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in the highest concentration available.

9. metal+water+time=rust

There's no harm in boiling them, but when I tried it it wasn't as effective as getting new strings.

I wonder if using Windex (or some more appropriate product) on your strings regularly would improve their life though.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021