1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does your band ever Tip the Soundman?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by anderbass, Aug 30, 2007.

1. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've been hearing more and more about bands tipping the Soundman around my area lately.

Are any of your bands doing this at (one-set/multi-band) bar gigs
    that have a Soundman that's been provided (and payed) by the venue?

My guitarist/frontman usually flips them a 20 right before our (45-min) set starts
    and our take of the $5 door-charge typically only ranges from between $20 to $100.

2. Seattle_BassMan

Seattle_BassMan

Mar 22, 2006
    hmmm....in my experience many sound guys make more than the individual members of the band, so I wouldn't be too excited to tip them. I remember feeling kind of bad for a couple of sound guys we've worked with and feeling like I should help them tear down, etc....until I found out that they were making more than me already.....and I'm the one up there on stage putting on the show ;-)

I don't mean any disrespect to sound guys...I mean if they can make that kind of $$ more power to them, but I'm not giving them any of my hard earned coin unless they really go above and beyond (which I have yet to see).

I don't usually rant too much...but I guess this topic hit a bit of a nerve with me :)

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I told my sound man not to accept rides from strangers.

That's about the only tip he's likely to get from me.

4. betwinxt

betwinxt

Aug 27, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I've rarely played a gig where there was a soundman there specifically to work the sound...Usually it has been bartenders with soundman duties. I tend to tip them at the end of the night, somewhere in the 20% range, for both soundman duty and bartender duty.

(First post...)

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Depends on the venue, our pay, and what kind of set we're doing. We usually at least offer to buy him a sandwich when we get our meal buy-outs, introduce ourselves, and say, "If there's anything you need, or anything we can do to help, please let us know." Tips above his pay come if he goes above and beyond, and usually in the $10 range, maybe $20 if he really went out of his way for us. We always send thank-you cards to the soundman aside from the thank-you card we send to the clubs after a booking.