Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does your band have a female singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My band does. I was wondering how many of you are in a band with a female singer. What kind of music does your band play? We play funk/metal.

2. Mine does, we are a rock band, some songs have a punky edge to it.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, and she is horrible. Well, we don't know if she is or not, she won't sing. Thusly, I vote to kick her butt out, and get someone with some pipes. She comes to every practice, was in choir (SP?) and her boyfriend SAYS she has a good voice....

EDIT: We play Prog/Rock. They call it Metal, but it's Prog.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is she too shy to sing or something?

5. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Yep - she's fantastic. We play traditional ska/rocksteady/reggae.

6. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Jep, for four years now, she's nice, very...
    Tell me what you think:

www.fairytone.com ==> demotapes and pictures inside

laterz

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I was in a band with a female singer. She is very good.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yep. The guitarist IS her sorta ex boyfriend sorta really good friend....

I won't sell her short. but a singer that doesn't sing is not really good for anything, is it.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    We got a chick singer in one of my bands. We play odd meter jazzy jammy funky stuff. She is pretty good, and easy on the eyes as well, which hopefully will help with our fanbase (the rest of us won't be bringing in new fans based on our looks, that's for sure). She dances around alot too, which is odd that she is able to that in 7/8.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So how long has she been a part of the group? May take her a while to warm into it.. Singing as part of a choir is one thing.. Singing solo in a genre that you're not familiar with is totally different..

12. Both cover bands I work in have a female lead. I love having a girl in the band. It allows you to cover everything. Most of the women I've worked with have been very cool. My one complaint is they don't always help with the gear the way a dude would. So many don't even own a mic! How many bassists would show up without a rig? yet how many singers male or female have a PA?

Anyway Chix Rock!

13. Lisa our singer owns her own wireless, PA, Marshall JCM 800 stack, and she helps haul everything.

14. WOW:eek: She's a keeper

15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In my previous band we had a female singer.

She was cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute as hell, but she sang like a rattle and danced as well as an electric post.

We didn't keep her. If we had, it would've been for reasons quite other than musical... :D

Cheers,
    JL

16. I do have a female singer in one of my bands. She sings very well, has a wide vocal range, and she's a great friend of mine. We play mostly rock (covers).

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes we play Latin Jazz - Salsa, Merengue,Samba,Mambos and Bossa Novas, as well as other Brazilian music and our singer actually comes from Brazil - she is in fact "The girl from Ipanema" and was born very close to the beach!!

So - we have to play those Jobim tunes - although crowds usually prefer the faster dance-oriented tunes! ;)

18. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Yes, yes we do. The advantages are endless, practices smell better; fist fights break out less frequently; male clubowners, promoters, radio station people, audience members, soundguys, etc. all respond better with her around.
    The only disadvantage is, as mentioned above, the gear-hauling issue. And I don't buy the "oh, I'm a girl, I can't carry anything" line either. My girlfriend will carry my cabs by herself, something I even try to avoid doing.

19. a freind of mine is playing in a band with a girl singing... he wants to quit because he's tired of people making fun of him for being in Mrs. Bungle.