1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does your bass have a name?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LadyThunder, Jul 18, 2012.

1. LadyThunder

LadyThunder

Jun 12, 2012
    I got a new bass instruction book that my bass teacher suggested would be a better method for me than the book I had at first. Since I've only been learning bass since about mid-May, the book is very basic and elementary...yet, fun with a bit of humor in it.

The very first page of this new book says, "Your bass is your friend... An instrument can be like a good friend through the years- get you through the rough times and help you sing away the blues. So, before we get started, give your new four-stringed friend a name."

So, just wondering what people here have named their basses. (My sincere apologies if this thread has been done before.)

I don't have a name for my bass as of yet, but I'm definitely feeling the bit about it getting you through rough times! My bass teacher had asked me how I'd been since the last lesson. I told him about something sad that happened to my family in the past week but added, that's why practicing bass is a good idea... it doesn't stress me out. :)

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I don't name my basses but wanted to thank you for positing the question so well , unlike the other thread , which made me want to pummel my own head with a hammer in order to click on.

3. LadyThunder

LadyThunder

Jun 12, 2012
    oops... i scrolled down to look at other threads and i see a similar thread that i didn't notice when i posted this. ah well. don't hate me, people!

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Actually sorta named a bass once it's a modulus "Bassstar" so I liquid papered a D at the end .
    I'm so clever.

5. I named mine "Charlotte" after my grandmother.

6. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    No. I don't name mine. That way, if I decide to sell or trade one of them, I don't cry because I'm too attached.

7. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Yeah... You! As in "Hey, you! you really screwed that one up!" or in "D&^$ YOU! YOU Really sucked on that one!" That way, it's always the bass' fault when the sound coming from it is less than pristine, which is often.

8. "serch function"

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Yeah. She's called Alice. Don't ask why! :bassist:

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I call my ATK305 in trifade burst (the fugly-est of sunburst colors) Odin:The Godkiller
    He (Odin: The Godkiller is the full name btw) is so named because the first time I pluged him into a GC amp to try him out it rattled the wall of basses around me I think I remember a guitar solo stopping immediatetly after striking my first open B string.

I figured Thor would be a good name for him but, who's Thor's daddy? The god of war Odin. I look at my music as killing of Gods for a few minutes. You know waging wars on the problems in my life for just a couple minutes or you know hours? Nothing exists but, just me and the music not stress, worries, or even God himself can tear me away from a inpromptu one man jam session.

11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    My current bass is "The Baron." I intend to name my basses after various ranks of nobility, with "The Duke" being my favorite, and main bass.

12. Crazy_Climer

Crazy_Climer

Jan 15, 2012
    Central WA
    Buford! Buford the bass... yes, it's a little simple, but it's the first name that came to me, and this is my first bass. We (my whole family) also name vehicles.

As to being sad when/if I ever sell Buford, I won't have a problem with that... I'll just get introduced to my new friend at that time.

13. Southway

Southway So ugly, he made a train take a gravel road

Jul 26, 2009
    Lake of the Ozarks
    I have named most of my Basses and guitars, some after various book/movie/tv characters.

Named after characters from Gunslinger Girl (manga/anime):

Triela - Fender 50th anniversary Jaguar
    Henrietta - Fender SE HH Jaguar
    Enrica - Teleguar project (in progress)
    Angelica - 71 Gibson EB-3 bass
    Elsa - Squier Jazz V Deluxe bass

Named after literary and movie/tv vampires:

Ivy - Squier VM Jaguar short scale bass (CAR) - (after Ivy Tamwood of the "Hollows" books by Kim Harrison)
    Pam - Squier VM Jaguar short scale bass (Black) - (after Pam Ravenscroft of the Sookie Stackhouse books and "True Blood" on TV)
    Selene - 69 Gibson SG Standard - (after the character in the "Underworld" movies)

Others:

Evilyn - Squier Bullet Strat "Gothicaster" - (I got this from a gothic name site that said it was the name of a cartoon character)
    Abraxxa - Epiphone Goth Thunderbird - (After a girl Vampire I know in Second Life)
    Chimaera - Steampunk Strat project - (because I think she's going to be a bit of a monster!)
    Alice - Squier CV 50's P-bass - (after Disney's Alice in Wonderland from the 50's. LPB body is like Alice's blue dress, the white pickguard like her white apron, and the maple fingerboard like her blond hair. Plus there's the 50's connection)

Not as yet named for sure, tho' I have some in mind: Black MIM Fender Strat (Squier series), Midnight wine MIM Strat Partscaster project, Surf Green Squire VM Jaguar and CAR

Squier VM Jazzmaster.

14. i used to name them, i dont anymore

15. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I have never named a bass until this last one. Frank. He speaks with to much authority to be a lady.

16. "Woody" - Warwick FNA Jazzman 2002 LTD
    "Honeychile" - G&L USA JB-2 with a honey amber finish that accentuates the quilted maple top; has Quarter Pounder pickups
    "Blondie" - G&L Tribute JB-2 with a natural finish; has DiMarzio Model J pickups
    "Sangria" - Peavey Millenium BXP AC4 with maroon finish & quilted maple top
    "The Lil' Guy" - Kala U-bass; fretless, with hollow body & spruce top

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Fender Jazz Deluxe

18. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Sarah - Sound Gear SR505

19. Lucyfer

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't really do it intentionally. But sometimes they 'grow' a name.

Dorothy - red Epiphone Dot with Seymour Duncan P-Rails and Triple Shots because Dot is an old fashioned nickname for Dorothy

Ruby - red Spector NS2a because my daughter said that bass looked like Dorothy's ruby slippers, I disagree, because they are glittery and it's just red.

Jaco - three tone sunburst Jazz with Nordstrand NJ4SE's, Audere pre, BAII and cyanoacrilate coated fretless neck Yes. I was making a hotrodded Bass of Doom.

Gary - white Fender Jazz with Geddy Lee neck and black hardware, because it's Geddy's actual first name Originally the bass twin of 'Checkers' Both were '88 or '89ish MIJ Standard models bought together, both in the Oly white finish with a rosewood fingerboard the bass neck was used to make 'Jaco'

Checkers - white Fender Strat with black pearl 'guard, red-silver-blue Lace Sensor set and custom switching Before the black pearl pickguard, it had a checkerboard pickguard. It took about an hour to get tired of that.

Amber - natural Lakland 55-02d not really an amber color, just amber compared to the natural finish of my Hamer guitar

Blondie - butterscotch blonde Tele with custom p'ups and switching, like a Triple VooDoo mixed with a Brent Mason

Taylor - the most obvious one, a Taylor 355ce twelve string

Junior - a Taylor 114ce six string

Chapman Stick - has no name
    NS Designs WAV four string EUB - has no name
    Hamer Double Cutaway guitar - not only has no name, has no real model name They call it a Sunburst Arch Top, even though it's natural finish and isn't really an 'archtop' per se. A real arch top is a hollowbody guitar with a curved arch carved or pressed into the top, like an ES 175. Technically, this one has a 'drop top' where it's a solidbody carved into a domed top, like a Les Paul.