Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does your bass sound differant every day?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 13, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive noticed something with my basses (or my mind).

Every day they seem to sound differant. Im not sure if it is reflecting the mood im in. or they actually DO sound differant. Could it be that the wood changes according to temperature or something?

for example, yesterday i was picking at the bridge and it sounded terrible, and today i picked it up again and started picking at the bridge-it sounded awesome...and i havent changed ANY settings or anything.

has anyone else experienced this?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, it happens to all of us. There are many factors that go into how your amplified sound comes out. The room, humidity, your personal playing style, the strings aging day to day, etc.

3. yea it happens to me all the time, one day i'm in love with how my ric sounds and then the next day i'm so unhappy with it i find the urge to want to sell all my gear.

my stingray always sounds thre same though, lol

4. I'm so glad this thread surfaced. I thought I was losing my mind..:meh:

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    It happens to me very often, but I guess that's because of the way I open my mind to music from day to day.

6. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm also glad this thread came up. I almost always love how my Jazz sounds w/ the bridge p.u. soloed, but sometimes it's just.....uugghhhh.

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I attribute a lot of it to my ears - that a lot the difference is not that the bass sounds different, but instead my ears are hearing it differently. See how different things sound when you have a cold and your ears are hosed up. Or when you've got a nice wax buildup that needs to be hosed out . . .

Heck, you can see some of this going on at a rehearsal, or even when practicing alone, if the volume is high enough (read "too high"). You'll start affecting your hearing and what sounded like a well defined, crispy sound will sound like mush after overdriving your ears for a while.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yes! :bawl:

I thought I had incurable G.A.S. and went through 20 basses before realizing that my ears are different everyday, so is my playing.

So once I establish that a bass really is good and definitely worth keeping, I put it in the "safe list." (I only have 3 basses max at a time anyway.)

Needless to say, I still love them and hate them all, but now I understand that is it ME, not the basses.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I believe this is a MAJOR cause of G.A.S.

I bought and sold an amazing number of basses over the last few years in search of tone. People around here joke that I bought a different bass for every band and/or gig. That's not far from the truth. I also sold them before they needed new strings. It was fun, but in hindsight a waste of money.

If your bass sounded good once, it will again. You probably wouldn't have bought a bass you didn't like the sound of in the first place.

Now, your taste could change, which is a legit reason to go searching, but you'd be surprised how many different tones you can get from a bass and amp. Add a good EQ or other device and you have more options.

10. I think its more to do with how your ears are picking it up, and how you play day to day, they are more variable than the change your going to get day to day in the way your bass changes

11. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i have definitely experienced ths with my ibanez. some days it just WORKS. and some days, it doesn't. however, at all times it never fulfills the lower end of the spectrum enough for me. whenevr i feel BGAS/a "need for a new bass", i am sure to first let myself listen to how the bass truly sounds for at least a week. with this bass, i've noticed a consistent inability to sound right in jazz settings, and basically getting the "oopmh" that i want, naturally.

12. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Definately! I always get this, I thought it was my playing style/i was going crazy. But this happens to other people too!

I feel so much better now.

13. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    This is really true. Sometimes I find that when I go to practice and I hate my tone I end up pulling out different basses and comparing them instead of practicing.:meh:

What I try to do then is go to my reference bass, my original 76 P-Bass and if that sounds bad then I know it's me.

GAS hits all of us, but I guess there are worse things we could be doing than obsessing over gear.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

No, I dont agree.

Rob

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Wow, I thought i was the only crazy one :D

16. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  17. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Oh Rob, one day you will notice a change and sell you then 18 sadowsky's to pick up 127 wish basses which sound good to you on that day :)

Just kidding, I definitely notice some tonal changes from day to day but I've never been able to say....oh my bass sounds bad today. A lot of the times my sound will be very inspiring dude to a lot of factors, the acoustics, the mix I'm playing with, how loud I have my amp running, how my hands are feeling that day. There is a constant flux for me, but again I can never narrow it down to one piece of equipment, unless that piece is broken or malfuntioning.

I'm guessing you notice these types of changes, right? Otherwise you're eq would stay completely consistent on you amp in every room to get the ideal tone you're looking for.

That's at least how I see it.

P.S. Rob, I just realized my first statement might come off as sadowsky "bashing". I hope you did not see it in this negative light, I was just using equipment as an example, and I know that you play sadowsky basses (exclusively?) so that served as the example...I could have easily substituted ea amplification for sadowsky basses in taht example. No offense meant.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am deadly to strings so its all in degrees.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

No problem. Just dont hear what you hear. Yea, sometimes the room might make me adjust my eq a bit. It is never a big adjustment, though. I never touch my amp settings. Just raise or lower the bass boost on my basses, add a touch of treble if the strings are on the dead side.

I never pick up one of my basses and dont like the tone. If that was the case, wouldnt have bought it in the first place

Rob

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Try putting some hydrogen peroxide in your ears with a dropper, then rinsing it out.

Seriously!!! I do this every once in a while, and I'm always amazed at the change -- like upgrading from Walmart speakers to some audiophile ones.