1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does your cab have casters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgrizzly, Mar 9, 2016.

1. No way, I love to carry my cab or I use a cart / hand truck

24.0%
  2. I leave them on while I play and the cab sits on them

56.5%
  3. I take them off while I play and sit the cab on the floor

7.0%
  4. I leave them on while I play, but turn the cab on its side so it sits on the floor

3.5%
  5. Carrots

9.0%
  1. dgrizzly

dgrizzly Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Question about who has casters / wheels on their bass cab. For the sake of this thread, please forget about a tilt-back situation where the cab just has 2 wheels built in to the back of the cab (like an 810 fridge or 410HLF, for example).

Curious for caster guys - do you feel like you lose some "rumble" from the floor-coupling department? If so, do you use a workaround to maintain it? I'm asking because I've never had a bass cab with casters, but am entertaining the idea. Thanks!

2. Matt-R

Matt-R

Jan 20, 2016
    New York
    Honestly from playing through my cab on casters and straight on the ground, sounds the same to me. If anything I noticed more vibration through the floor to my feet when it sat directly on it. For the ease of mobility I normally just leave them on. That's my experience with my Rumble 410 and 115.

DwaynieAD and dgrizzly like this.
  3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I have a Berg HT112 that I was using with a stand for small cabs and I felt that I was loosing some bottom from it when using the stand versus just having it in an angle off the floor, might be my imagination but this is what I have to say and I stick to it. :cool:

dgrizzly likes this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why do you assume people only have one cab?

I have 1x10, 2x10 and 1x12 without wheels and 1x15 and 4x10 with wheels.

It all depends on the size and weight of the cabinet.

Regardless, they always stay on because who has time for the nonsense of removing them at a gig?

tmw, the yeti, Esoge and 3 others like this.
  5. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Hi. This thread is discussing tone and thump vs. convenience. Thanks for weighing in... With all 5 of your cabinets. If you're not going to read the post, you should probably vote "carrots".

Helaskold, Dan80sMan, Remyd and 6 others like this.
  6. If it doesn't have wheels on it , I'm not taking it out of my house. The only exception to that is a 2 10 combo guitar amp that I have that isn't heavy at all. And , no , I'm not taking the wheels off of any of them for any reason.

Bob Lee (QSC) and Sartori like this.
  7. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    So, casters fans - nobody leaves their casters on the cab and rotates it 90 degrees so it sits on the floor when you play?

DwaynieAD likes this.
  8. Can't talk for everyone, but as for me - nope, makes no difference.

9. dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Thanks for the replies so far. I guess my question stems from a time I used a bass amp on an amp stand. It felt really weak and lost a lot of "rumble" that I was used to when it was on the floor.

10. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have combo's that came with casters................i took them off. I bought a little portable, foldable hand truck with bigger wheels on it to roll them around if I have to. Door jams a piece of cake, stairs much easier. Casters in my experience have been next to useless. I don't know about the sound because I took them off immediately.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I have read the initial post and the poll question. Both assume that the reader only has one cab.
    That is not the case for a great many of the people who will be reading it. So much so it makes any results of your poll invalid.
    You're also assuming that the cabs with casters have removable casters. This is not automatically the case either.

If you want to talk only about whether or not casters make a tone difference, you should have made your thread title and poll question about that question.
    Or better yet, use the search function to find threads like this one that discuss that very question at length: Casters - do they affect tone?
    Or this one: While Playing:Casters on or off??
    Or this one: Casters: Yay or Nay

Sartori and Charlzm like this.
  12. You really did not lose low end.

What you were hearing was all the directional mids and highs that usually blow by your ankles.

13. I try to keep them in, but they keep falling out. I don't notice too much difference in sound either way.

14. A high stand can acoustically decouple bass from the floor but it has to be over 2ft. Hearing more mids up close is not the same as less bass.

Casters are acoustically invisible to bass.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    No

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

One combo has wheels. They are always there and it sits on them. The big cabinets have wheels that are always there but that don't do much when the cabinet isn't tilted back. The other combo doesn't have wheels. Wheels are easier.

Sartori likes this.
  17. I have casters bolted into my cab. They get stuck on rugs, door jams, etc so I'm considering taking them off and getting a cart of some sort. Or just bigger casters. No acoustic different (to me) if the cab is sitting on the casters or on its side.

alaskaleftybass and dgrizzly like this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes. My 212 Eden cab does. Depends on the stage. I'll leave them on as long as I have enough bass. When I stack my full stack (2 GK Neo112's), I take them off.

19. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    In the days when I used a 2x15 cab (one Yamaha and one Fender), I would always take the casters off onstage, both for the floor-coupled sound (this before subs as we know them today) and to prevent rattles and rolling accidents.

dgrizzly likes this.
  20. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    My SVT 810E Classic can has its own hand truck built in.

Atshen and spaz21387 like this.