Does Your Cable Make a Difference???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

seems soo innocuous, but do you guys think it makes a big difference in tone? instrument, speaker, btwn your effects pedals, the unbalanced you use from your preamp to power amp.

IMHO, i think it does.

i.e. i bought a 6ft. Monster Standard speaker cable on sale, and realized that it was like putting a blanket on top of my cab! was 10x worse than my ol' Horizon speaker cable.

vice versa, when i switched from my George L's 15' instrument cable to my bud's Mogami Gold 15', the clarity of the middle range jumped out at me. wasnt as blurry or indistinct. my guitar amp dood, George Alessandro, gave me one of this 15' Series Two cables, and it was like a whole new world! just seemed like a wider sound stage.

still, really curious to try try Canare, Evidence Audio, Audio Analysis stuff. then again, i hear lots of guys saying, its all in my head.

what's your take?
  2. it's in your head, read the Tara Cables thread under recording.
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Thanks for the heads up on Monster. I was considering what brand I should buy when I get those new dream cabs :). Right now I'm using a custom made 2 ft. 10 AWG cable with high quality spade terminals. In my experience, a homemade job using a short length regular low gauge speaker wire will meet or beat any high priced snake oil cable.

But the biggest change in tone I ever got from a cable was when I switched to Canare GS-6 instrument cable with Neutrik jacks. It was like night and day compared to my old Whirlwind cables. More highs, more lows, just more clarity. So I agree with you, you're not just imagining things. ;)
  4. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Use your ears and decide for yourself!

5. It's been said many times that there is no difference. I firmly disagree (if it's in my head... what can I say...)
    I've had great luck with the highend Monster cables. I've been using them for quite a few years because they hold up very well. I've actually tried other cables and I notice a difference right off. There is possibly better cables than Monster out there but I have not needed to spend more money and try them. I may somtime if my current cables crap out. I also see dead people.... :D .... NOT!
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    heck yeah!!! cable is sooooooooo much faster than dial-up...................
  7. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Does Your Cable Make a Difference???

I read this title and immediately flashed back to that tune from so many years ago::: "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor, on the bed post overnight?"

Now I can't seem to get the darn tune out of my head!! Is this grounds for a lawsuit? :eek:

I've been using Carver cables for years and find that they make a large difference in my sound. most often get what you pay for.

PS: But do you REALLY feel?
  8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I don't know anything about testing methods other than the ones I conduct myself...namely what I hear.
    Plug one cable in and play through it...listen.
    Plug another cable in and play through it....listen.
    I hear a significant difference between my Monster bass instrument cable and my Evidence Audio Lyric instrument cable.
    I can unquestionably hear a difference between the two cables.
    The Lyric is far clearer and cleaner and provides a much better sound. I keep the Monster around as a back-up but it has yet to ever come out of the bag.
    That's my testing, my results, and my choice of cable.
  9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I can feel the lock coming in on this one!
    Get in while you can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.