1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does your cover band play Prince's "Kiss"?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Out of interest - do you sit back and groove along on stage without playing your bass, or do you make up a bass line, or pretend to play your bass throughout the song?

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    I make one up.....actually sounds pretty funky with tha booty in there....

3. Cool, does your band try to stay true (more or less) to Prince's original version or is your version quite different?

If staying true to the original, what kind of bass line are you playing?

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I used to be in a band that played it, after trying an "experimental" line or two I eventually ended up doubling the keyboard line, which is the way Prince's band plays it live, I think.

5. I never thought to ask how Prince does it live. Does he do a different version then?

6. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I tend to follw the kick drum pattern, and embellish.

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    yeah...I lock with the kick and find myself playing some Bootsy-esqe (pre Parliament) grooves....verrrrrry funky

8. Man I wish I could hear what some of you guys & gals are doing with a song like Kiss. It'd be cool to hear a bunch of submissions to TB with personalised versions of Kiss.

9. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    No, but if we did it would probably be closer to Tom Jones version...

10. Whatcha mean Tom Jones version?

11. oh wait, I gotcha.

12. Get a six string bass, and use the upper register of the higher strings to chord along :D

13. The appropriate thing for the bassist to do during Prince's "Kiss" is put down the bass and perform an interpretive dance to the piece.

14. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Like Brown Mark is doing in the video for "when doves cry" which is another Prince song without a bassline.

As for how Prince and his band are performing the song, you guys should check out his new year's concert DVD "Rave un2 the year 2000" where he and Larry Graham have a thump off doing bass duel before launching into "Kiss" at which Prince tosses his Warwick bass across the stage (a very painfull scene I have to say) Larry Graham played that song with a very minimalistic bassline played fingerstyle. he plays between the main beat of the song making the bassline noticable but oh so tight.
    [​IMG]

15. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I just play a simple yet funky bass line at let my brother sing it... People love it, especially the ladies.....