Does your Dunlop bass wah make clicks?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Morris, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    My Dunlop 105Q (the white one) makes an audible click every time it swaps back from wah mode into bypass. When I plug it into my mixing desk (through a D.I box) the click is so noticeable that it makes me hesitant to use it. There is also an annoying pause for the sound to go into bypass mode. This is deliberate for the wah to not bypass if you are rocking your foot back and forth. Fine idea in principle but everytime the wah reaches the heel down position, it triggers this really annoying click. It also breaks the consistency of a sustained note that you can clearly hear.

When I plug into my amp, the click is not so annoying however it is still audible.

I was wondering if there is any mods to adjust the manner in which the pedal's bypass mode works?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I just ordered a brand spankin' new 105Q, and I've played 2 or 3 of them, and I haven't runinto this issue before :confused: . Is the pedal still under warranty? Cause I have no idea how to change the bypass mode if my pdeal starts up somethin like that, lol.
  3. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I have never had any clicking when the pedal switches to bypass. Is yours an auto bypass? I had a guitar wah that clicked every time you manually clicked it to bypass, but never with the auto bypass pedal.

The only noise I get is the switch in tone from the backed off wah to bypass. Even on direct recordings.

I would take it back and get it replaced....
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No, never. Though that pause before it switches off is very annoying. However help is at hand, if you look at the Harmony Central review you'll see that it's possible to change the delay time or even remove it totally - I think I'll be cutting the delay time down to a fraction of a second when I modify mine.

5. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I have done the mod in the review at harmony central (you change one resistors value) and it does reduce or eliminate the delay when switching but increases the noise(pop) when switching.
    I am looking for a beter wah or to modify another wah to work for bass, somthing with true bypass and more adjustability with sweep range, etc
    Hope this helps! Tim
  6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I realize this is an old thread, but I'll add this incase anyone does a search. The newer 105Q wahs have a brown round trim pot inside next to the battery on the circuit board. It looks like there's a key hole in the middle. The folks at Jim Dunlop tell me that if you turn it gently with a screw driver clockwise, you can shorten or kill the delay. Turn it counter clockwise and you increase the delay. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out where to bypass the resistor, but it's not necessary on the newer models like mine.