Does your Jazz bass (or other) hum or make noise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hitman9696, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Hi there,

I've been thinking of buying a MIA Jazz bass in the near future, but some reviewers on Harmony Central noted that, depending of it's surroundings, it might hum or make noise. Apparently, single coil pickup do that. Also, my DeArmond makes noise in my house, but at the studio where I jam, it's quite.

However, the American Deluxe has "noiseless" pickups that supposedly eliminates those annoying sounds.

1) What are your opinions on this subject, J-Bass owners?

2) Are the "noiseless" pickups really noiseless?

3) Is there a way to get rid of these hums and noise?

2. Most of it is design. Single coil PUs will hum when solo'd but should be quiet when blended. There is a difference in the quality of single coil pups. The ones on my Sadowsky are dead quiet when blended and I only get a small amount of 60 cycle hum when one is solo'd. The surroundings don't have any impact. Roger does a great job designing the pups and the electronics. I could get humbuckers (noiseless), but I really like the sound of the single coils.

OTOH, I have played other single coil basses that are unacceptably buzzy. It all comes down to design and execution.

What I hate more than 60 cycle hum are treble controls that are "hissy". I've played several high end basses where you turn up the treble more than half way and the hiss is unbearable! Now THAT pisses me off! ;)

3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    both my mia dlx and mim dlx are quiet as a church mouse regardless of what position i set the pickup selector to. The few american series jazz's that I played didnt hum either when i toyed around with the blend control either.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have 3 basses with single coils, possibly 4, I don't know for sure what configuration the Bart J's in my Pedulla are.

In a live situation, and in the studio, I've never had a problem with hum. The only time I have ever had a problem was at my singer's house. We practiced in his sunroom, and I always had buzzing and humming on my Geddy Lee that would go away when I touched the strings. It wasn't anything wrong with the bass, because it didn't do it anywhere else. He either had some bad wiring, or it may have been the rheostat for his track lighting?

On my basses with 2 J's, I tend to have both of them all the way up 85% of the time, and any well designed J bass will not hum with both pickups on full, even with no shielding and in a place with some interference.