Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does your pick guard scratch easily

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 9, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just asking becuase alot of pickguards on basses i have played seem to scratch easily just having you fingernails up against it, like when just doing a littel 1950's thump style.

2. My RIC* seems pretty hard and resilient...and i have banged a few times.
    3 of my Fenders seemed to 'scuff' up somewhat...but no serious scratches.
    The one bass i have been totally amazed with for taking almost no damage is my Steve Harris sig. I thought for sure that mirrored red guard would be hell to keep clean. But fingerprints dont stay on or scuffs or scratches hardly show at all.

*Edit: Typo, i dont own more than one...yet ;):D

3. MAJOR METAL

Yeah "Ric" are built like a brick wall.

4. That should be edited by the way...it should be just 'RIC' i am working on getting my second. I guess i was getting ahead of myself :D

5. MAJOR METAL

So let it be written so let it be done ;)

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I have the answer guys.....

On my US ATK I use PDA scratch covers! They are a thin plastic sheet that seems to stick very well to a clean flat surface without leaving ANY residue. Works great! Peel the old one off and apply a new one when needed. FYI, I don't think it'll work on a porus surface (that's a warwick for you Major), plastic and finished surfaces only!

PDA=palm pilot

7. MAJOR METAL

Thanks Justin, youll have to come by and check out the Infinity sometime.

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

YES.... YES I WILLLLLLLLLLLL :hyper: :hyper:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Godins p/g is pearloid so you cant reakky see scratches, The black pickguard on my Essex scratches easily. Put a few scratches on it just installing it, and i played with a pick (for giggles) once and i got several scratches on it.

10. sorta, but you cant really notice it.

11. MAJOR METAL

Yeah black pick guards pick up all the scrathces, that's good to know about pearliod, thanks.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My Harris p/g's are a pain. They resist scratches fairly well, but break too easily. In fact, I just broke the 2nd red mirror this week.

Anyone have a chrome P-Bass p/g lying around :D

ON TOPIC, I have managed to scratch all of my p/g's regadless of color or make. It doesn't bother me though.