Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does your WT-550 hum or hiss?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Aug 6, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    ... with both the gain and volume up at '6'?

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My usual settings are more like 7 (2 o'clock) for the gain and 4 or 5 (11 or midnight) for the master. At those settings there is no objectionable level of hiss or hum.

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    So it does hiss/hum to some extent, just not objectionable?

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have never noticed any hiss or hum whatsoever. I will check it tonight and report back in the morning. :)

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    With the settings you described, My Pbass plugged in but the volumes off. I do get an audible hiss until I turn down the tweeters in my cabs ( 212XLT+210XST ) then it is silent.

So I guess my answer is no it's not coming from the amp but the tweets..... Or is it the amp.... Not sure...

I love it anyway!!!!!

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Seems like the one I tried in the store has issues then. I got very noticeable hiss with the tweeter off on a D410XLT.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    WT-550, Berg HT112/EX-112, American Deluxe Jazz, gains as you described, volume on bass off. There is a slight hiss that lessens as the tweeter is rolled off. Nothing objectionable. Hope this helps.

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks.