Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doesn't Anybody Use The Search Function?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Tritone, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Maybe it's just me, but I keep seeing thread after thread after thread where the poster obviously hasn't bothered to do a search, or even read through the forums. Mostly these seem to be newbys, but I've read a couple where the poster admitted to just being lazy. I'm referring to mostly the "Has anybody played a XYZ" or "Is XYZ any good" type of posts. Honestly it's getting a little tiring having to sift through the increasing number of these types of posts.

If I'm the only one who's being irritated by this, then by all means I'll shut up, but if not, perhaps one of the Mods could slap up a reminder sticky?

:bassist:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    old news

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    do a search :rolleyes:

4. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You guys are killin' me! :D

I'll shut up now :D

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :smug:

it kills me how many people don't bother to make themselves aware of what has been and what is easily accessible. I get soooo many questions asked of me in my day to day. I type exactly what they ask into google or whatever search engine is hot at the moment.... bingo, I answer the question with less effort then it took to contact me and bug me about it.

:bassist:

I've been refered to as "Mr. Internet" or "Net Boy" in real life since the mid 90s :bassist:

6. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess that it's easier for some people to let others do the work for them. But, I guess sometimes it could a be lack of knowledge rather than laziness. That goes for everything nowadays, though.......

Oops, I said I was going to shut up...... ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I usually ignore myself too :p

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was trying to ignore both of you!

:D

;)

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Many people uses the search function(s) but you never notice those, as they don't bug you. It is a minority who loudly proclaims their ignorance.

10. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Well said!

11. amen man i hate it. on the guitar forum they have an excuse at least, they dont have a search function. here its just a bunch of morons who are too lazy. imay have been guilty of this already, but i avoid it at all costs. i just wish people would look at this as a last resort if they cant find it anywhere else or its a really obscure question (but i thought asking how to play faster WAS an obscure question :bawl: )
    yeah the way i feel when people ask me this it reminds me in the movie clerks where the guy works at a convienience mart and everyone who comes in asks if they are open. just wish those people would go have a cigarette in bed or something. i wish you could rate other users and vote them most likely to someday win a Darwin Award. seriousley, all you mods out there, i speak for a lot of people when i say this is the most annoying part of the whole experience.

12. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    OK, being a relative newbie, I'm wondering if you guys could help me: how do you search for "f bass" on these forums? The search function eliminates "f" and "bass" even when I put "f bass" in quotes.

Maybe I should do a search on searching for f bass before I ask this dumb question? ;)

13. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions, and I especially like your ideas for making it a better archive.

The lack of being able to use quotes to search for a phrase is a pretty big shortcoming, isn't it? I mean, it's pretty easy to include that in search logic. It's too bad TB doesn't have it. I wonder if it would be possible to get it in the future.