Doesn't Anyone Use Elixirs?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brutalmetalguy, Nov 26, 2003.

1. I have not seen anyone mention anything about elixers, which I play exclusively. Am I missing something?
  2. You're missing the search button! :)

3. Haha! So I am...

But still, I have not gotten the information I was looking for. I'm too... scared to stray from my precious elixirs to try anything new. What I want are the pros and cons of elixers compared to the pros and cons of my fellow bass players' favorite strings. Does anyone want to share this information with me? ...Please... :help:
  4. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    *last longer
    *got the perfect tone right out of the pack (not too bright)
    *keep that perfect tone for a very long time (compared to other strings)
    *got that nice "slippery" feel for fast fingerstyle and slapping and for subtle slides

*WAY too expensive
    *the coating can come off after 3 months of intensive playing with a pick

That's what i've got too say...
    But don't listen to me only... My opinion is not that neutral, I'm an Elixir endorsed artist...

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    As a NOT-Elixir endorsed -- er... bass player...
    I can affirm everything Pol said.

Except the part about being too expensive. If you don't grind all the coating off in three months by playing pickstyle 4 hours a day, you can get a good year or so out of a set of these (I just changed a set after TWO YEARS). And if you compare that to the cost of the normal strings you'd have bought in that time, you will most likely come out with lower cost per month.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use 'em on an old P bass (poly) and modern fretless (nano). Warm sound and they feel good. Yes, they last a long time. No downside if you never play with a pick, IMO.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They last longer than any other string I have ever played. But the reason that I don't use them any more is that they are not bright enough.
  8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There really are only cons to these strings:
    * Cost is about 2-3 times more than other brands
    * Strings are dead from the get-go(coating)

The only marginal upside to these strings are that they feel nice, but not a whole lot nicer than nickel IMO.

The reason people perceive these strings to last longer is these strings sound dead from the start because of the coating, and as a result, you don't hear the loss of brightness as much. I was given a few sets to try out, and even being free, I thought they were crap and not even worth my time. I'd rather take 3 sets of another brands strings for the price of Elixers. Defintley not my cup of tea!
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I particularly HATE Elixers...they came on my most recent acoustic guitar and they were nice, but when I had to replace them with another $11 set, I tried Martins at half the price and fell in love.

Long story short, I bought them for bass when I got my acoustic. I basically had to shave my strings after three weeks. Sure, I bend a lot and sometimes use a pick, but in my mind, they don't last as long as my Labella's. Besides, LaBella's give me the bright sound I love that Elixers just don't.

Verdict: crap to me :p
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I used Elixir's exclusively for about 4 years.
    I enjoy the feel and they lasted a long time.

I've had a couple of bad strings fresh from the

Gore replaced them, but it was still a hassle.

I've since switched over to JF 344's, and
    discovered the true meaning of smooth feel and
    long lasting.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure. The cons outweighs and pros for me. I was completely unimpressed with the sound. Unimpressive sound that lasts a lifetime still wouldn't be worth the expense.

If I'm going for my normal sound (bright but not overly so, round and full) I go roundwounds. There's no sonic compromise there. For an old school vibe I'd go tapewounds.
  12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I tried a set about a year ago. I absolutely hated them. It wasn't so much the sound, (although they weren't my cup opf tea!) but once my hands started to sweat, the figerboard felt like it was covered with hand lotion. I lost that dig in feeling that I am used to. I went from using DR Lowriders, which to me are the roughest strings made, to the Elixers. Lets just say they were scrapped long before they wore out.
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm with tplyons on this one, I hate Elixir's with a passion. They may just possibly be the worst strings I've ever played. I wouldn't even pay HALF the going rate for a set of 'em. Even if they were FREE I still wouldn't use 'em! :) That coating especially sucks, it sheds and leaves residue all over my bass, and also it removes the electrical ground from the strings 'cause it's an insulating coating. No thanks, I'll stick with the traditional strings, like Ken Smith's, D'Addario's, and even RotoSounds. Any of those feel more comfortable to my fingers than Elixir's. The only other strings that are as bad as Elixirs are the Labella SuperSteps. They're so bad it actually hurts my fingers to play 'em!
  14. Hey, thanks everybody, for your opinions. I am suprised, really, I did not expect nearly this much negative feedback. I may be trying out some new strings soon. Thanks again.
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    At the suggestion of Eli, I installed a set of Elixirs on my fretless. While I don't play that bass very often, I'm quite happy with the tone, lack of fingerboard wear, etc.

I use DR Highbeams on all my other basses, but I'll stay with Elixirs on the fretless
  16. I usually find that in the summer months, when my high level of perspiration kills stings mechanically and sonically, Elixirs last much longer than non-coated strings. In cooler months, non-coated strings last longer. The coating would usually shed cmpletely before the string breaks. Suprisingly, an old, coated string is not noisy. Old coated strings are thusly transplanted to my fretless.

As I continue to play, my hands sweat less and strings last longer. So play more and you might find that your strings last longer.

17. Yeah! They sound great on fretted, but I can't dig them on my fretless, the coating must do something to mess that up.
  18. I feel the same. I bought a fretless Ibanez bass (EDA905F) in April, and the Elixirs came already installed. I love their tone: not too bright, with a nice round bottom - just short of being mushy.
    They are perfect for the fretless tone I like.
    I don't know if I'd like them as much on a fretted bass. I guess I'll have to try a set on a fretted and see.

Eli, you didn't change your set for two years?
    I was going to change the set on my Ibanez at Christmas. They're only 7 months old, but after hearing your story, I think I'll give them at least a year. They still sound good.

19. JvdK

Jan 31, 2003
    I use these strings on all my basses, they outlast even DR 3 times, they also save your fingers and sound good right out of the box. Never seen any kind of residue on my instruments, don't know where that story comes drom but it's not true. Expensive strings but worth the money.
  20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

Like they say, if it ain't broke...