Doesn't it look like this body is newer than this neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes but it is kinda dirty under the strings, where your fingers sometimes touch, whereas u dont usually touch those parts of the body, so its undrstandable.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    The grime I can understand. But the neck is orange and the body is yellow. (converting wood tones to a regular pallet)
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He could have gotten the body refinished. ya know, ground off the top,,,,,, re lacquered.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks pretty fishy to me.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Me too

jbulliard (0)
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O, well he says "the neck is the original maple" he doesnt say ne thing about the body being origiinal. Therefore, tjhat bass is worth ****.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The neck looks original and the body has almost certainly been refinished or stripped. Who knows how much else was changed? BTW, there's no reason to expect a maple fingerboard on a fifties P Bass to match the color of the body. These basses were finished mainly in two colors, i.e., butterscotch & two-color sunburst.
  8. I'd guess the bass was refinished when it was routed for the split P p/up.

the dark areas around the p/up look strange- almost as if it was routed for a humbucker, then filled in.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Funky...and not the good kind of funk. I really like that pickguard style, that's just cool.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    This is a PLAYER'S BASE :rolleyes:

Was string through an option in 1954?
  11. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Didn't Fender make a Tele-Bass in the 70's, but it had a large humbucker style pickup. About the size of that diferent colered area around the non-stock PBass pickups.

The bass looks like a collection of Fender parts from various years. But if you like playing it and it sounds good who cares.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There were two different Telecaster basses.

The first one came out in the late sixties, and had a single coil pickup like the early P basses.

The second one came out in 1972 and had a huge humbucker, but it was at the neck, not in the middle of the body. It was a pure mud machine, like a Gibson EB.

13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    According to the ebay text:

"Here's the deal... This is a 1954 Fender Precision, serial # 0965. This is a PLAYER'S BASE, however, as there has been some work done on it. "

This is basically saying that the whole bass is a 1954 model, with modifications.

"The original pickups have been replaced with two modern pickups. Understandably, this reduces the collectable value of the bass, but actually improves the sound.

Here is where he expains the pickup difference, although he doesn't know anything about Precision pickups.

"Importantly, the neck is the original maple neck, in prime condition. "

Perhaps the only real thing on the bass.

"It's also very light. There is the regular amount of player wear on the bass, but aside from the pickups it's in great shape. "

Blah... Blah... Blah...

"As I said, this is not a bass to spend $9000 and have sit in your corner as a museum piece. It's a fantastic, vintage Fender that's meant to be played and will sound great. With original pickups this bass would be worth seven or eight thousand dollars. You can have it for less....and play it too!"

It bugs me how much fraud there is on ebay now.
  14. LMaO!!! too sadly true.