Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doesn't "Luthier" mean "Guitar Maker"?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know that it was originally in reference to Lutes and the like; but in common usage I always took it to mean a guitar maker and those I have seen advertised are making guitars.

[​IMG]

So what have Luthiers got to do with Double Basses? Surely they wouldn't necessarily be the best people for a Double Bass set up or a new endpin?

Just asking - in case I ever need to get a DB set up. :confused:

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    These days, the title of "luthier" applies to anyone who constructs string family instruments, including guitars, banjos, ukes, and violin family instruments to name a few. Having said that, it's important for us DBr's to make sure that our repairs are performed by someone who understands DB construction, and not just a guitar builder who's willing to take on a bass "for the experience". (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur's luthier listing is a very valuable tool for finding someone in your area who's qualified.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    lu·thi·er (loo-tee-urr)
    n.
    One that makes or repairs stringed instruments, such as violins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [French, from luth, lute, from Old French lut. See lute1.]

....from Dictionary.com

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know that literally the meaning is broadened to "stringed instruments"; but I am doubtful that somebody can be that much of generalist?

Also - Internet searches and browsing through the local Yellow Pages - 99% of "Luthiers" qualify this with talking about themselves as "Guitar Makers".

A search on Google found a vast majority who were only interested in Guitars really.

So my question is really what would be the correct term to search for, to make sure that you get somebody qualified to setup or modify a Double Bass?

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Talk to some of the established bass players in your area and see who they recommend.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If I'm lucky enough to find him nearby, I usually just call him "bass guy"...and thank the gods that he's willing to do the work. Actually, I'm presently without a bass guy :( , so I rely pretty heavily on this forum and ALL HAIL's for guidance.