1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dog destroying grass...help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZombieGhosTrain, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Alright. A few years back when we had a pool put in our backyard, we left a bit of grass for my dog. The rest is cement with planters. Oftentimes my dog (akita/australian shepherd) will take his back legs and do a "burn out" on the grass, ripping it up and sending it flying. This is just kicking his feet back, like a kid on a skateboard.

The grass mainly died due to this, and we resodded it. He began to do it again so we fenced off the area with screen stuff so it could regrow. Took it down the other day, he's back at it. Once this batch of grass dies, unless we find some way to stop him, my dad will put in fo-turf, something he can't rip up. I don't care how good fo-turf is nowadays, but I prefer grass. Any ideas?

~Adam

2. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Try putting something on the grass. Perhaps pepper.

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    The behavior you describe is instinctive. There is nothing you can change on the dog. He will always scratch and mark the ground like that.

:meh:

4. Pepper worked to get him to stop eating the good plants, but if it was in the grass...wouldn't he just stay away from it? It would affect him when he lies down and chews on something, not when he is kicking it up. I don't want to keep him off it entirely.

And, gotta love instincts.

5. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    A dog's gotta be a dog you know.

6. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Just cover the grass in petrol and sandpaper, and stick matches on his feet, so where he scratches...BOOM! problem solved!

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What kind of grass are you using? I would recommend something like bremuda, which is invasive and will quickly spread to cover bare areas. Keep the area well-watered.

If the area is very small, you are probably fighting a losing battle.

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have an Aussie mix, and we've fought the same battle. He won.

The thing is that he only does it on one spot. It's the spot that has the best vantage point of the yard, as well as the coolest. We let him have it. Most of the time you don't notice since he's laying down in it most of the time.

You can try putting a dog bed over it :meh:

9. He's marking his territory. The only way to keep him from doing that would be fence off that area or remove the grass.

Or, replace it with Astro-turf. And that comes in such interesting colors!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Nails and broken glass.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Dog destroying grass, huh?

Sounds like you've got some pretty badass grass.

12. Lmao yes. I'm afraid to go near it sometimes.

But in all seriousness, I think he has won. It is in one spot, but he lies in the other. The grass is about 20 ft x 4 ft, half he rips up and the other half he lays on. Purple or red astroturf would kick some major ass though.

Adam