Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dog got mauled

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 14, 2003.

1. My mom called me to tell me that my dog, a 10-year-old, 20-pound miniature schnauzer, got mauled by a neighborhood pit bull. The pit bull's owners forgot to turn on its invisible fence :)rolleyes: :mad: ) and it ran across three yards. It tore up his foot, his hip, and a huge chunk of his scalp.

Poor Chester had just gotten back from getting the stitches taken out on an operation to remove the arthritic fluid from his hip, too. We might just put him down, although there's no financial pressure to do so since the owners of the pit bull are under legal obligation to pay Chester's veterinary bills.

What really drives me up the wall is that the owners of the pit bull have two or three very young children--the oldest is 4 years old at most. I'm sorry, but given the breed's temperament and the fact that both of them work full time (meaning that the dog hasn't been trained very well), why the hell should they have a dog that will be bigger than their kids until they're at least 10 years old?

Litigation is in the cards. We have nothing to gain financially from this, but it's clear that these people are stupid enough to let something like this happen again without some sort of tangible reprisal occurring. At the very least, their liability insurer will require them to have the pit bull put down.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, I am so sorry.

I had to watch my cat get ripped to shreds by my aunts 5 german shepards when I was 4, so I know how you feel.

:(

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    dude that really, really sucks...:(

bp13

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm sorry man, that is really awful. A pitbull is not a dog for everyone, especially a person that does not have the time to devote to raising it properly.

If there's something that can be done to save your dog and gve him good quality of life I would sue the jerks and make them pay for every penny of the cost.

IMO electric fences are the biggest waste of money. Depending on the size/breed of dog, an electric fence will not keep a dog in a yard. I've seen it too many times where an agressive dog has gotten out of a yard that has had this type of fence. Plus, what's to stop a young child from unknowingly venturing into this yard.

:(

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry to hear it Peter, I hope your dog can pull through. Moley, your on the money about those crappy fences!

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That sucks.

The 'invisible fence' may be adequate if the issue is simply preventing a dog from being a nuisance to neighbors or keeping it out of harm's way. But I'd agree that anyone who would rely on such a thing to keep a potentially aggressive, deadly animal in check needs to be given a serious clue.

Sorry to hear about this.

7. Well, it's not gonna do either of those
    IF IT'S NOT TURNED ON.

I'll post their address here sometime for your turd-mailing satisfaction.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's really awful. Leaving a dog as potentially dangerous as a pitbull unattended is as bad as leaving loaded unattended firearms within reach of young children. You can't shrug and say you couldn't imagine that the worst would happen...

9. My mom told the owner, "You're gonna wake up one morning and find your baby's head in the pit bull's mouth, the same way Chester's was."

Honestly, I think the owners and their children should be sterilized, so they can't further contribute their STUPID genes to the world.

10. Second that! :mad:

Why is it that the stupidest people seem to have the biggest/most vicious dogs, and never train them properly?

Peter, I'm very sorry for what happened. :( Hope your little one pulls through.

Mike

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    They're TOO stoopid to know HOW STOOPID they really are.

My dad used to say that folks should be required to wear their IQ's on their forehead so that the world would know just what they're dealing with. No IQ's below ____ can have dangerous animals, credit cards, or babies. Seems kind of cruel, but imagine the effectiveness.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That really sucks Peter. You know I have had two seperate neighbors who owned pit bulls and they were the most irresponsible people I have seen. I don't think it is a coincidence.

13. I hear Pit Bull Soup is DELICIOUS.......

14. That really really sucks man. I own two pitbulls and they are both profesionally trained house pets. But in your case you have owners who don't care enough about anyones (and there own safety for that fact) safety and now someone's posession has been harmed or potentially fatally harmed. The propper action to take is to have the pitbull removed from the current owners as this type of scenario you went through is more than likely to happen again because a reckless owner "Forgot to turn on the electric fence":rolleyes: :mad: . Again I am sorry and I hope your dog recovers well.

15. Looks like the owners didnt take time to train the dog to the fence. If trained to the fence properly the animal wont go within 6 feet of the shock wire even if its not turned on. Having an aggressive breed around small kids makes as much sense as giving them a loaded gun to play with. It shouldn't go off but we all know it will sooner or later.

16. Merely having the dog removed won't solve the problem--in our experience, people who have big dogs that get put down get them again and are just as irresponsible the second go around. This is why we're filing suit.

Interestingly enough, in much of Canada, this would have resulted in the owners going to jail for 6 months and/or paying a $10,000 fine. We wouldn't be litigating if that were the case, but there are always the "Get the government out of my life!" types who keep common-sense legislation like this from ever being enacted.

17. pete man, i hate to hear that :(

I hope everything turns out well for your pup.. :)

as for the neighbors, give THEM a loaded gun, and enter them in the twit olympics :cool:

18. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    jeez...
    Wow peter.. sorry about that man.. that really sucks =/

I hope chester pulls through this okay and he turns out alright man. =(

19. Good luck on the suit. Sucks when peoples' stupidity hurts others instead of themselves. Hope you can get what you are looking to get out of it.

jtbp

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    *Polly is waiting*....OH,,,joke.....