Dog obedience

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Hey there. Have a cute boxer / terrier mix that is almost a year old. I've crate trained him, and potty trained him, and he's generally a good, affectionate loving dog. No aggressions (food or otherwise), just the usual bouyant, jovial terrier disposition...

One problem: he will not listen to my Wife's commands. I realise I have the Alpha presence here, but he simply will not cooperate with her. If I want to bring him in off the run outside, I tell him to sit, attach his collar to the leash, and walk him in.

With her, the dog tries to do the death roll and generally gets quasi-manaical, regardless of command, and end result is she gets filthy.

My Wife is at her wits end with this. And I now have an ultimatim:

get the dog to obey me or he's gone.

The thing that sucks is I don't have this problem, and tell her it's that she needs to spend more time with this dog as an alpha-presence. To do the same things I did.

What should I do? Obedience school? Get rid of the Wife? :D

any thoughts???
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think at some point I read something on this that said for a period of time the wife should be the one that does everything for the dog and you should ignore it. She should feed it, praise it etc...just to show the dog that she is a provider and in charge as well. I'll try and find where I read that so I can post more details.

brad cook
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is she providing the "carrot" to go with the "stick"???

If she has one of the dog's favorite treats, (cheddar cheese works for me), she should at the very least, be able to get the dog's undivided attention.

Once she has that attention, the dog can usually learn that the only way they are going to get the treat is conditional ---they must perform a specific behavior before they get the treat.
    If the dog still doesn't perform the behavior to get the treat, repeatedly, she simply walks away with the treat.
    The dog should get the message in due time. And of course, the desired behavior should not only be rewarded with the treat, but high praise as well.

The downside is that your dog has established a behavior it has to unlearn. Replacing an old behavior is so much tougher than establishing a new one.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sorry but only *she* can master the dog, any intervention you try will only undermine her authority. Boxers AND Terriers and both headstrong, if she conceeds AT ALL the pup will remain above her rule.

Have her read some dog training books. The ones by the Monks are pretty ok, and I've not read it, but on most subjects I want simple to the point info that is easy / fun to read... I grab a "for Dummies" title.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    another thought (did my mom wonders with her 100lbs Dal)...

don't underestimate the effectiveness of an empty plastic juice bottle (20oz.) with a small handful of pennies in it. The noise of it hitting the floor near the pup should be enough to grab the attention back to the task at hand. Becareful though... it's easy to wear out the trick.

(don't peg the pup though, either shake or land it near it)
  6. best advice is definataly a combination of the above.

use a treat, now and then, tell your wife to read books, you should ignore the dog whenever your wife is around, or has just left the house with you and the dog left, i know this can be hard! similiar situation with my retriever, however no where near as bad!

also, when giving the dog into trouble, grab him/her by the scruff of the neck, look into their eyes and NO. plain and simple words. saying stuff like "stupid dog" etc are useless. ;)

gluck to you both. =)
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my rottie listens to my old lady fairly well, but she needs to work with him - using praise and treats

you can't make a dog listen to your wife if she doesn't work with the dog

i recommend puppy kinder training I or II, basic training and shoot for an AKC CGC cert. - that'll do it.
  8. Thanks folks!

Thing is, beyond the general attention, my Wife is not as big a dog person as I kinda feel book-ing up on the subject won't happen...

I just want there to at the very least a level of control for her. If this involves obedience training, is this something where learned behavior towards all people is encouraged? I mean the (not so) little guy is certainly jumpy, and this leads to the sitch where you get withing "death roll" proximity.

Thing that sucks and I feel bad about is I don't have these problems, and we've all lived in the house for going on a year. I know the dog gets lonely, as we both work, and as soon as I get home, I'm around the dog. The kids are good with him too, but admittedly he gets a tad jumpy for my 2 year old's tastes....

I guess classes it is. But I still have to get my Wife to work with him too...obviously.
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Are you serious? You're wife actually told you the dog's gone if the obeying doesn't prevail? No offense man, but that's pretty ridiculous. Just tell her to slap the dog on the head and say "NO"... ignorant style. Every ignorant caveman in my family I've seen try it has had it work wonders!
  10. Well, not that I would let it come down to that, I'm not completely p-whipped, thankuverymuch....

But I'm also not really into smacking animals.

So, we're going to just have to work at it.
  11. rickbass

No dog ever needs corporal punishment! It will sour the relationship forever......unless fear and distrust are your preferred means of control.
    The memory of dogs is imprinted even more easily and permanently than that of children.

As the book said, "There are no bad dogs...only bad owners."
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! rickbass, very nice! you hit it right on the head! :smug:

i don't hit my rottie! once he's full size, if he's out of control it's my fault!

and don't forget to socialize your dog that's very important too...

above all, most pack animals will be loyal and want to please the pack leader
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    FYI: any dog obedience course is more to teach the owner how to lead the pet... not make the pet obey anyone who talks at it.

You've stated that the dog listens to you... but not her. She will need to take the dog to school.

As far as the book thing goes, perhaps you reading them can make couching her easier.

here is a darn good *nut shell* on winning the upper hand

14. rickbass

Yep. I take mine to Doggie Day Care at least twice a week and board him there when I'm on the road.

He is a much happier, much saner, pet. It gives them a chance to "be a dog."
  15. Again. you all have my thanks. :bassist:
  16. Amen, we have many "bottles of rocks" laying about the house at the ready for bad behavior. 90% of the time just picking it up will correct the bahavior the rest is shaking/throwing and if aggressive behavior, we'll actually strike the dog with the bottle. Not beating the poor thing, but making our dominance unquestioned.

We also have success with endless treats for positive reenforcment until the dog learns. Both of these methods are good according to our obediance and herding trainers.
  17. emor

May 16, 2004
    Another vote for the shake can; but as was mentioned before, it can lose its effectiveness if used too much.

You might also try using a clicker in your training. The sharp sound really grabs their attention. (The downside, however, is that my dog comes running whenever I use my metronome. :D )

Positive reinforcement, consistency, and lots of patience.

Never hit your dog. :scowl: