Dog owners, tough question...any vets here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, to start things off, I got my Golden Retriever 6 years ago, when I finally moved out for good from my parents. She has been my best friend ever since, and has been through some rather tough times with me, never questioning me for anything....always happy to see me come home.

About a year ago, I noticed a hard tennis ball sized lump on her side, near her hind leg. I took her to the vet, and spent over $300 on a biopsy, and was told it was benign, and not to worry about it. Personally, I would have liked a much better explaination, but that's all I could get!

So a year later, it is now grown very large, from tennis ball size, to approximately 8" high, by over a foot is now getting into her rib cage. Lately, she doesn't seem quite as active, and her eating has slowed a lot too. I KNOW she NEEDS to go back to get this problem properly diagnosed, but due to recently selling my failed business, I am flat broke, no income at the moment, and my credit is completely shot. With the growth of this tumor, or whatever it is, I don't believe there is any way she could make it another year.

I simply do not know what to do, I do not have the heart to just let it run it's course if it is going to cause her to suffer, and I simply cannot live with the though of putting her under, if there is a surgery can save her, regardless of my financial situation.

I know a lot of people think it is crazy to put that kind of money into a pet, but I she has pretty much grown to be my closest family member over the years, and I'd spend it in a heartbeat to save her, if I had it. I know she is going to need to get the problem properly diagnosed very soon, I just don't know how I can do it. :(
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Find your local humane society. Ask them for some $$ help. Ever seen Animal Cops on Animal Planet? They often show people who can not afford the medical treatment for their animals getting some assistance.

I know how you feel about your dog. I had a silky terrier for 15 years that I had to put down a few years ago.

3. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I feel for you man. Im a dog person too, and i'd give my left nad to save one of my dogs if i had to.

My 13 year old labrador has similiar growth's to the one you've explained. No where near as big however.

He's got about 6 of them, and had biopsy's done on all of them. The results came back as being benine too, and the vet explained them as being nothing more that fat deposits. So hopefully, that is all that is wrong with your dog. They can be easily cut out if need be, but my dogs one's werent really hindering him in anyway, so we thought it would be best just to leave them.

If you can grab onto the growth, and sort of move it around in a sort of free floating manner, there is huge chance that is only a fat deposit.

Try those animal societys that MJ mentioned. Im sure someone will help you out, or atleast help you out with finance until you are financial again.
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    HOLY CRAP!!! That is currently on my dog!!!

I got the same answer from the vet too...

I hope it works out ok for ya, I know how much a pet could mean to somone.

Hell, I have a 10 gallon Nano-Reef that I spent over $570 on, and it isnt even 1/8 done...

I spend LOTS of money on my pets.
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for the reply guys, I need to take her to get her looked at asap somehow. Here is a pic of her, it is kind of hard to see it in the pic, but it is there, and goes all the way down to her stomach. BTW, you cannot move it, and it is hard as a rock.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The pics do not show just how big, hard, and large this is, but even from looking at her from the top, you can see that one side of her is much larger than the other.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just as an update, she hasn't been doing very well lately, I had to take her to the vet this morning, in fear she was on her way down. To make a long story short, she needs to have surgery this week, to attempt to remove the mass, whatever it is. X-rays show nothing, and they won't even know whether is is even able to be removed until she is opened up. There is a good chance that it is interfering with some vital organs, and it may not be able to be removed. If that happens, I have some super tough decisions to make. Either put her down at the time, or have them stitch her back together, face a long recovery on being opened up, and let her live until she starts showing signs of pain, or other problems. This totally sucks.

I put some light gear up for sale to cover her expenses, and I may end up selling my bass gear to cover other financial problems as well. I hate to do it, but sometimes other things are just more important, and I know I would miss her more than some wire and wood. My sister has an affinity squier p bass she said I could have, so I could get by with that.....not the most stylish gigging bass, but it does the job.....produces the notes needed.

I got the notice the other day that my supporting membership is due again, I hope you all can forgive me, as I have no choice but to let it lapse until I can get things back on the right track financially, but will do so as soon as possible.

Wish us luck this week, and funkize, if your dog is having similar problems, and your doc is telling you "not to worry about it" like mine did, keep a very close eye on it, and get a second opinion. Had I done so, all of this could have been prevented.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I agree with you, Tim.

My Wife and I have three dogs, one of which is diabetic (twice a day were sampling her urine with test strips and giving insulin shots). Between the three it costs alot of $ to keep them healthy, and I dont regret a single dime spent.