1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dog parks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    How many of you have dog parks where you live? There is on in my town that was created with private donations - here is what it has:

- two acres of land - most grass, but an area of concrete, with a big canopy, so people can stay out of the sun (with benches to sit).
    - two areas, so people with old/tiny dogs can have their own area
    - a "fountain" with water coming up out of the ground, for dogs to play with, and faucets for drinking water
    - an area with different obstacles to use for people training their dogs for obedience competitions.
    - several places that have disposable "doggy bags" so you can clean up after your dogs

I usually bring our dogs there after work - generally anywhere from 5-20 dogs there at a time. Our dogs love it.

bholder likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Always wished there was a place like that near here back when I had my Great Dane Angus - when he was younger, he really needed a place where he could just run.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

We have several near by. It seems like only in recent years have dog parks become available in many cities. They should have done this decades ago as they are very popular with the pet owning public.

4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's great, especially when the owners watch their dogs - you can let them off the leash and play with each other. Few things funnier than a "dog train" of about a dozen dogs running and chasing each other in a line.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

We have many here in Sacramento. There are 2 within a few miles of me. One is a bit small but is pretty busy. It's got a good mix of trees, owner seating, good grass area for fetching but it's a bit narrow. Actually wedge shaped with a chain link fence. The other is a huge grassed park with a water area and grooming areas. Picnic benches and the lot. Sacramento is very pet friendly as far as that goes. Lots of riverside walking trails where dogs, horses, bike riders, joggers and people walking along co-exist. Pretty excellent.

My brother and I take Kuma ( akc purebred Akita ) for walks along the river and to the large park. Never had an issue with other dogs being aggressive.

18301091_10211856333671236_8874555267959729154_n. 18195041_10211856333711237_8354293683313898832_n.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  6. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    We have one in the city near us. The whole thing is covered in AstroTurf. Took my beagle there once, she sniffed the plastic turf and gave me a look like: "no bunnies here, let's go home"

Alice.JPG

Son of Wobble and GregC like this.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have a few. The one closest to us has a section for small dogs and one for large dogs.
    We stopped going for a couple reasons.
    #1 people seem unable to understand small and large.
    #2 disorderly dogs everywhere only surpassed in disorderliness by ignorant dog owners.
    We had a couple incidents with aggressive dogs coming after ours. In both situations, the response from the owners (different people/dogs each time) was that if our dog couldn't 'handle it', we shouldn't bring her out to socialize with other dogs.
    Our dog (female bloodhound) is quite friendly, and well adjusted to social situations with other humans and animals. She started, and nearly completed (we had to stop when we moved), training as a rescue dog.
    I dunno, it sort of felt like this 'tough guy with tough dogs' hangout when we went. I suppose we could have tried other times or days, but we just decided it wasn't worth it and stopped going.
    Shame too. It's a nice park.
    Now we live in the woods and she can run around as much as she wants without getting out of our eyesight. She doesn't go far though. She knows where home and her humans are.

-Mike

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    @MJ5150 that's too bad. Part of why our dogs love it is to interact with other dogs.

9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    There's one about A half mile from my house. Now all I need is a dog. Planning on getting some kind of hound this year now that my yard is fenced in. Something that doesn't shed.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't get a bloodhound. They shed a lot.
    Worse than that though is the slobber, and what we call slingers. When she shakes her head around, slobber from her jowls goes flying into all corners of the house.

-Mike

GregC and TOOL460002 like this.
  11. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Why thank you sir. That checks one more breed off my list. I just need something kinda small, like maybe 30-40lbs or so. I also have a messed up back so I gotta get something that won't take off and have the weight and power to take me for a ride. Could be bad. I'm sure training helps, but would still rather be able to hold the dog back with not much effort if it darts somewhere. Options, options...

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    There's a dog beach we can see out the front window of our apartment--a small spit of land in the corner of the harbor across the highway from us. We live in a no-pets building (the one big negative here), but plan to buy a place--and have at least one pet--when our lease is up. In the meantime, we enjoy checking out the activity on the dog beach. On sunny days when it's not too frigid (granted, that doesn't describe the majority of days in Chicago), there can be up to a couple dozen dogs out there playing and swimming. And in the spring and fall, there's an amusing back and forth as the geese try to take over when it's empty, only to be chased away by the next dog and owner to enter.

Here's what it looks like when the weather's nice (this was a weekday, so the beach was quiet).

Harbor view summer.

buldog5151bass and Stewie26 like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Go to the local shelter. You will find one (or one will find you). All my dogs are rescues, and older dogs are easier to housebreak.

GregC and TOOL460002 like this.
  14. TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Ya man I feel ya on that but I want a puppy. I already volunteer but was thinking about putting in six months at a local shelter to better figure out what breed I'm looking for. But, nah, I really want a puppy. Like off Craigslist. No genetic mess pure breeds. Nothing pressing, so I got time to figure it out, but I got the time for a puppy this year so I'm going that way.

15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . Nothing wrong with that. It'll be around longer. Who knows what you will find.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Anasleim recently built a dog park in my area...on a spot where homeless people used to sleep at night. :beaver:

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Omaha has dozens of dog parks - some are separated into smaller "big dog/little dog" sections. I take mine all the time to parks.

18. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Why aren't there cat parks?

elgecko likes this.
  19. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Because cats are stuck-up finicky and clique-y jerks.

But I mean that in the nicest possible way.

heatheroo1 likes this.
  20. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    We have dog parks and even dog beaches around San Diego. haven't taken my do to the parks, but I have a decent sized, fenced yard and my dog is small. She also gets daily walks around the neighborhood.

Interesting comments about dog parks having separate areas for smaller and larger dogs. I am not aware that any of the San Diego dog parks have areas for smaller and larger dogs. It sounds like a good idea.