Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dog+Skunk=A Lot Of Bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Last night we let the dog out to do her business and she likes to sit out on the back deck. She had been out for 15 or 20 minutes when we smelled skunk in the house. When I opened the door and called her she didn't come and I didn't hear her tags rattle. I went down the steps and saw her huddled up against the steps, her chain thing had been wrapped around a post and she was basically stuck. She had been sprayed on her left side by the skunk. We called the Emergency Vet Hospital and they said to bathe her in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and Hand Soap. Man, if I didn't look (and smell) like a wacko buying out all the Hydrogen Peroxide at K-Mart. (the chick at the register-"are you afraid of germs?") Anyway, we spent a majority of the nite bathing the dog, a project she doesn't like anyway, but she didn't fight it too much. She knew.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw some stuff at Petco that's claimed to take off skunk smell as well. Did your vet's solution work?

brad cook

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It works, my dog has had it twice. You can still smell the skunk faintly for a while, but you can let the dog back in the house.

4. You did the same thing, peroxide, baking soda and hand soap? I'd never heard of that until last nite. It really did seem to work pretty well.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I lived that once! I was watching Letterman back in the day old time / old station and let my Dalmation out after teh nightly band played.

I heard a rush of dog on wood deck, a furry or "you're so dead" barks followed by a few yelps and the stink of 100,000 burning garlic cloves :eyebrow:

He got it right in his eye, mouth and ear on the right side. 5 years later, if we were swimmin in the bay and you sniffed his head you could still smell it slightly :eek:

we used a ketchup, vinigar, dawn dish soap slurry that night. Peroxide and Baking soda later, even store bought stuff.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep. I have some friends who are horse people/survivalists/trackers/target shooter/martial arts folk. -whenever I need info like that, I call them.

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    up until this point I thought this was a story about the dog eating your entire stash of super-strong weed :)

('skunk' being a term in Britain (maybe other places too, I dunno) for a particular strain of highly potent wacky tobacky :) )

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I read the first few lines, by hovering over the title and I thought the thread was about the result of a dog mating with a skunk!! :eek:

Maybe it was the word "huddle" - images of cartoons with Pepe Le Peu falling for the local female cat - I just imagined the dog and the skunk cuddling up together!! ;)

9. not "a whole lot of bad" in that way!! :p

10. Cat piss is pungent also. We don't get skunks in Aust, but, I take your word for it. :rollno:

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've always heard tomato juice works well. It's probably as much for entertainment value as it is an effective means of removing the smell. Anyone ever tried it?

12. I had a problem a while back w/ skunks on my front porch eating my catfood. I just so happen to have some infrared night-vision security cameras (paranoia, break-ins, and expensive equipment) so me and my buddies set up a trap w/ a cardboard box and some string to where we could close the box from inside while watching the action on TV. But by the time we had developed this plan we had already attempted to kill them w/ makeshift spears etc. (strangely enough, they wouldn't spray me, even when I was really close), so I guess they were scared of the trap or maybe the whole area in general. They didn't come back, but I did get to try the trap out on one of the cats (the lemur).

The strain of dope known as skunk (actuall I think there are half a dozen varieties) literally smells like a skunk. Somehow it isn't a bad smell though. It lacks the abrasive rotting carcass part.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Years back, my family had a dog that got the same thing. I smelled skunk outside, and called her in so she wouldn't get it. I wasn't smelling skunk, I was smelling my dog who was shot by skunk. Bad part is, I didn't realize it was her I was smelling until I let her back in the house. Was so bad it woke up everyone in the house.It doesn't really smell like skunk at point blank, more like a strong paint thinner, or other chemical. We used tomato juice, with so-so results.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OH boy. I knew skunks smelled bad, but I thought it was in a dog-poo kind of way, meaning it hangs around for a bit then fades away. I had no idea the stuff they shoot was to stubborn.

15. I can verfify the tomato juice - also good for a dog that's been rolling in a dead seal carcass washed up near the cliffs just north of Pismo Beach

5 gallons of it, however. Poor Lono had skin allergies; couldn't use chemicals. Lono I still miss yah buddie ;-{

16. nice sand art petebass!

17. Living in the country, my dog has been hit by a skunk at least twice. Now we live in town, hasn't happened sence we moved :)