1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dogal Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GM60466, Oct 21, 2006.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Anyone tried these strings?

GM

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    well....
    I went ahead and tried a set. I didn't like them for a number of reasons, but the biggest complaint was intonation was off on E A G strings.
    At $44 they should be good right out of the box

GM

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Did you do a setup after putting them on?

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Oh yeah, Nothing seemed to work.

GM

5. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Which set?
    I'm gonna try a Jaco set, in a search for a TI kind of string with slightly more tension. So far the closest I've got is Sadowsky flats, and they are by far not good enough in the way that TIs are to me. I've heard much good of the jaco set though, while Dogal traditional flats seems like any traditional flat to me, but I don't know as I have not tested them.

6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    A recent thread about Dogal flats, mentioning the trad set in the title but also discussing the Jacos. I know you already know it since there's a post of yours in it - just linking to it so that anyone else can reach for (admittedly very little) extra info:
    Dogal Traditional Vintage Flats ?
    If you get the set, by all means share here any impressions you feel like -the more they're in form of comparison with more known qualities, the better! :)

Levin likes this.
  7. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    I mailed them and will order a 45-105 jaco set! Will come back when I compared them to TIs, Sadowsky flats and Dunlop superbright nickel rounds on the same bass.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I for one look forward to it! :D

9. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Me too! I just placed my order so they are on their way, I hate this time after buying strings, when you don't have them yet... Been excited for these for a long time, if they are anything like a thicker gauged TI then I will certainly buy more of them!

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I hear ya, on both accounts.

Levin likes this.
  11. Months have passed...did you ever get them?

jallenbass likes this.
  12. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Yes, and they are awesome! I tried them on some different basses before stringing them on my Lakland Decade.
    They are light tension like TIs, but as they are thicker they feel great for me, stable but supple and not too loose at 45-105.

They sounded much more metallic than I thought they would, but it went away pretty fast and became a bright but not harsch clarity.
    When I put them on they felt like a luxurious version of the Fender CLs! But lost a lot of that clank, luckily.

So far, I think they have a greater response and organic feel to the tone and mostly feel when you play than the TIs, which I've never encountered before in any other string except those two, so I'm really glad! It is always hard do describe how a thing feels and what you hear, but I'll try. It's a very, very dynamic string!

They are very clear-sounding, lots of harmonics even after broken in, much like TIs. They have a very even output and sound all across the fingerboard. They took a lot longer time to stabilize after putting them on compared to all the strings I've tried, maybe 1-1½ week or something, much like the TI Acousticores but not as loose of course.

In various ensembles, I've experienced that these strings have a.. it's hard to explain, but it sound to me like a bit more ''room'', they fill the overall sound a bit better than I'm used to, which I was very pleased to notice. It's hard to explain what it is, but in groups where we are 3 or 4 the sound that everyone is doing together now seems bigger, for lack of a better word.

I'll write a bit more about them and try to record some clips when I'm not short of time, like now.

HaphAsSard and miles'tone like this.