Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doggone it

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Decided to restring my spiffy new Am. Ser. Jazz Bass tonite. I had some Rotosounds that I had picked up while I still had my Spector (and they sounded great on the Spector), so I figured I'd try them. I guess the A string was bad, since it rattled like an essobee even when I raised the bridge saddle quite a bit higher than the saddles on all the other strings. Plus they didn't really sound too great on this bass.

Fine, I'll try the boomers. Boomers have always been good to me, but not this time. I don't know if I'm having bad luck, but they just sounded dull and muffled.

Aha! Then I remember I have a set of Carvin .045-.100 nickels in a dresser drawer that I picked up a while back that I never tried. So, out comes the string winder again , and first comes the E string. When I heard it I was like dude. This is what I've been looking for. I imagine they're probably Labella Slappers private-labeled for Carvin, but whatever they are, they're very cool. Really bright, with punch-in-the-chest mids, and nice warm nickle-y lows. For $9.99 a set, if they'll last three or four weeks, I'm gonna keep tryin' em.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    rattling could be not enough break above the nut. Try a couple more wraps around the post next time.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    James no longer speddling, I agree. Except that I'm pretty particular about how I wind my strings around the post, making sure that they wrap downward so that the first wrap presses down on the second, etc. I think the nut on this bass is cut a little deep, so I may repair or replace it. Still, this experience has again demonstrated to me that a bass can really prefer one string over another.