1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doghouse disasters (aka: what's the worst thing that ever happenned to your upright?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Blackbird, Nov 5, 2000.

  1. Blackbird

    Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

    Mar 18, 2000
    A few months ago, I got a big scare.

    My upright was in its soft case (the only one I have) and it was leaning upright against a corner in my house. I was sitting at my computer (probably on Talkbas:D) when I heard a terrible crashing noise. I sat petrified for about thirty seconds before I got up to see what happenned (although I knew). My Cat tried to climb the bass and when she got to the top the thing went off balance and fell over. Thankfully, there was no damage, but it was a big scare.

    Anyone have similar experiences?

    Will C.:cool:
  2. The Scherl&Roth I used to have was once scalped by a ceiling fan.
  3. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The worst thing that ever happened to my bass was when it was stolen from right under my nose.

    I was playing at the Bass Mt. bluegrass festival several years ago and my bass was stolen from the tune up room just before my band went on. The Lewis family was coming off the stage as we were going on and kindly offered me the use of thier bass. You can imagine what my mind was on as we played our set. Carlton Haney, the festival promoter saw my bass being loaded into a car and gave the sherriff a description of the car. The description of the car was put out on the police radio. Just as we were about to start the last song of our set, Carlton came to the front of the stage and told me that the car with my bass had just been stopped and that my bass had been recovered. I felt, in that moment, that the weight of the world had been removed from my chest. It ended up better for me than it did the thief. The guitar player in my band ran into the thief at another festival a few months later and proceded to beat the snot out of him. Sure do wish I'd been there to see it. :)

  4. brianrost

    brianrost Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    While driving home from a gig I was in a hit and run accident which left my car totalled and trashed my Juzek: popped off the neck, separated the top from the sides, busted the fingerboard off at the heel. I got it rebuilt but it just doesn't sound the same.

    Believe it or not, someone got the license number of the car that hit me, cell-phoned the cops and they picked up the driver. Turned out she was a known felon with multiple aliases and a revoked license. The case is still in court but she has bigger problems, she's also up for murder one in another case!!!
  5. slapfish


    Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here at Notre Dame, we host a collegiate jazz festival every year (been running for something like 40 years). My freshman year, I kept my bass in my dorm room (much to the chagrin of my roomate), which was much closer to the site of the festival than the building where I normally keep it. As I lay it down next to the elevator in the dorm, the shoulder strap of the bad slips, and the neck hits the floor pretty hard. I frantically opened the bag and found that my worst fears had been confirmed: the neck had popped out. So two hours before our performance, I ended up running around frantically trying to get another bass (luckily, our band has two bassists). It was not a happy experience, and it was the main reason why I purchased a wheel for it the following summer.
  6. Don Higdon

    Don Higdon In Memoriam

    Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    When I got my good jazz bass, my Juzek became a spare. I propped it in a dark corner of the basement leaning against the water softener. It started leaking, and the cloth bag sucked up the water. When I discovered it, the top had opened, the back had warped, and the ribs had pulled open. At the lower bout, the top was an inch too narrow on either side to reach the rib. I gave it to Arnold Schnitzer to graft pieces to make the top wider. Arnold thought about it, and instead filled it with water until the back and sides were resaturated. He dumped it, and wrapped a band all the way around the sides, and tightened it until the back and sides were in their original "memory". The top fit perfectly with no grafts. He slow-dried it, reglued it. His work was flawless; the bass was exactly the same as before the disaster, and stayed that way.
  7. The other night I was at rehearsal - and I play electric on some songs and double bass on others. Our space is so small that I have to keep my bass on one of those flimsy metal stands when I am not using it. So we're playing this tune and I hear the drummer (he had a mic) do the slow motion "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and I turned my head to see my double bass falling in slow motion. It took out a mini-moog that was right next to it and was continuing to the floor as I grabbed it. Luckily there were only scratches, but when I first turned my head, I was sure the body was going to be punctured by something.

Share This Page