1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dogs on the 4th of July

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've always enjoyed the 4th of July except for last year. It is supposed to be illegal to explode fireworks in Seattle but there were so many explosions last year that my dog went crazy. Weird since the police always came to our house when our son was young and told us to stop shooting them off. Now that he's 29, he has no interest in fireworks but it seems like everybody in the neighborhood has developed an interest....and cops don't show up anymore.

I heard that Ellensburg has a strict no fireworks policy so I'm thinking of spending the day there with my dog. How do the rest of you deal with fireworks and pets?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We have a Thundershirt for our dog. We put it on her on at times like this. When we lived in NH, we lived in the woods so it wasn't much of a problem. Now back here in WA, we live in a neighborhood of people who light off fireworks for two weeks prior to the 4th, the 4th, and a few days after. It's disappointing to me how disrespectful people are.

-Mike

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I accompany my pets in a frozen carbonite induced slumber until midway through the month. The blindness wears off by the time August hits and we're ready to rock and roll.

oerk and Darth Handsome like this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My dog was rescued off the streets of Compton where gunshots are heard quite frequently. He starts shaking when he hears loud bangs. Not sure what I am going to do with him this Forth of July.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My dog literally tries to crawl up my butt. We got her a thunder shirt, but it doesn't seem to do much good. She does get to practice her straight jacket escapes whenever we put in on her though. I don't know how she does it, but she manages to take it off......

6. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I'd put them in the basement for the evening. Unfortunately, I was the source of most of the fireworks noise. An empty Corona bottle, stuffed with bottle-rockets, held like the Statute of Liberty - THAT makes me happy. And my wife scream. Which makes me happy.

Phalex likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The bulldog wouldn't get upset if you lit it a foot away from him. The pittie - is a wuss. Fortunately, we have pretty sane neighbors. We come home, and she is in the corner whimpering, so we sit with her. Not much else you can do.

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Thundershirt, what?

9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    What is a Thundershirt?

The vet said that they have drugs that can calm a dog during the 4th. Has anyone tried this?

My dog is a 120 pound Pit/Mastiff mix and he's tough to be around when he's upset.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've looked into the anxiety meds before, but the wife and I decided not to use them. Keeping our dog close to us and the Thundershirt has helped.

What is a Thundershirt you ask? http://www.thundershirt.com/. It works great for our bloodhound. She is about 100 pounds now. The wife and I were skeptical, so we bought one from a local pet store. We had the option to return it if it didn't work. Going on three years now with the shirt, and it works great.

-Mike

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
  12. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    It imbues your dog with the powers of Thor. I think

13. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    My dog was never bothered by fireworks, guns, loud noise, etc. But I'm noticing now that he's getting a little older (he's 8) the loud stuff bothers him a bit. I used to take him with us to watch fireworks. He'd just hang out and look around like nothing was happening.

14. One of ours freaks out with fireworks (usually 5th November over here), anxiety meds really help her and it's just a once a year type thing (without them she gets full on panic attacks, poor lass is terrified).

I can't remember the name of the meds, would need to check at my parents. My missus is a vet nurse and recommends using them too (and has used them for her parents dog).

15. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Stylish too. Stick some spikes on that thing & a Kreator backpatch & its kvlt as all hell.

16. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Thanks for this. I just ordered one for the dog in my avatar. I read the reviews on Amazon and it seems to work around 80% of the time. Again, thanks for a solution.

17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Now you also can get a bigger boat and a louder motor.

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I live a mile from Disneyland and get a nightly fireworks show. I imagine dogs in my neighborhood get used to it pretty quickly.

19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Now if someone has a solution for dealing with dogs on Halloween, I'm all ears....

20. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    You mean the dog(s) at your house or the dogs around the neighborhood?