D'OH! A little help?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Nov 22, 2000.

1. I bought a Yamaha 4-string fretless about 6 months ago and I think it sounds fine, especially after I put in the passive Seymour Duncan Bassline pickup. The problem I've had with this bass the whole time is that whenever my fingers arent on the strings it makes this strange buzzing sound, and then when I either touch the strings or the volume or tone controls, it stops. I have no idea what this means, it hasn't happened with any other bass I've tried before. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Could be a bad ground. Check all the solder joints in the control cavity and the wire running to the bridge. It could also be that the cavity is not sheilded well. You can use a metalic tape (obtained at the hardware store. it's used in heating duct work. be careful with it, it can be very sharp)and line the cavity.
  3. I gave my ol' Yamaha a new ground and that really helped. It didnt disappear totally but lots of the buzz went away. All I did was put a better wire (these wires are often poor) to the bridge.. voila! Helped for me, maybe for you too? If its under warranty, let the store fix it. Good luck!
  4. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I had a similiar problem. Once I switched to an instrument cable with shielding over the tops of the plugs, the buzz went away. Also, fluorescent lights and nearby electrical equipment can cause problems.

5. If the buzz disappears when you touch the strings the problem is totally with the internal grounding of the bass. Shielding won't help with any of this type of noise.
  6. Why the hell is this in setup? It's about my BASS isn't it? :rolleyes: Oh well...

Thanks for the help guys, even though I'm an idiot and wouldn't know how to go about doing that. Mesa Man, is this a common problem among Yamaha's cheaper basses? I mean I love my bass but it's not like it's a freaking Warwick or anything...